Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya

There has been a thread about 'an ace up your sleeve' in another forum, what is the difference between it and "an ace in the hole" and how can we use the latter in a sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They appear to mean much the same thing; they can both be found here: English Idioms Beginning With 'A' - Page 1 - UsingEnglish.com

Sorry easybreakable; I didn't realise this when I suggested you start another thread. I know the expression 'an ace up your sleeve', but 'an ace in the hole' was new to me.

easybreakable

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
It's ok, the page is fantastic but I wish there were sentences for each idiom.

iKitty

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
NOT A TEACHER

I've never heard of 'an ace in the hole' either, I think it must be US English. I do know 'an ace up my sleeve', though, in British English. This could go in the following sentence:

When negotiating with her manager for a pay rise, Mary had an ace up her sleeve.

In my example, Mary had something (that her manager was not aware she had) that would help her get a better pay rise. Perhaps she had just made a really big sale for her company?

It might have a darker meaning: perhaps Mary knew that her manager was having an affair, and was threatening to tell his wife unless he gave her a pay rise?

Basically, it means having some kind of 'ammunition' that will help you achieve something, that your opponent is not aware you have (as if you had the ace card in a game of poker).

easybreakable

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
Thank you.

I'm studying on my own for the TOFEL and come across many unfamiliar words and idioms, soon I will post them asking for sentences. :cool:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you.

I'm studying on my own for the TOFEL and come across many unfamiliar words and idioms, soon I will post them asking for sentences. :cool:
It would be a good idea if you created your own sentences and posted them for our comments. We like people to try for themselves first.

If you use the expressions correctly, it is satisfying to have your correct sentences confirmed. if you use them incorrectly, we may be able to tell you why.

easybreakable

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
It would be a good idea if you created your own sentences and posted them for our comments. We like people to try for themselves first.

If you use the expressions correctly, it is satisfying to have your correct sentences confirmed. if you use them incorrectly, we may be able to tell you why.

Sure thing, thanks

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Ace in the hole" is definitely used over here in the states. It means the same thing as an "an ace up the sleeve".

"Competiton for the regional manager position is pretty stiff, but I've got an ace in the hole;
I'm marrying the boss's daughter next week."

It refers to poker, most forms of which see the player dealt a number of cards face down. This is known as "the hole".

Last edited:

easybreakable

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
I think things are clearer now, thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.