Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

"It's just a national pride thing," said Lyons, 34. "China focused so much on other sports last time in Beijing. They got their kids to do rowing and all these other things they'd never done before. It's just obviously national pride. Everybody wants to get more golds. And everybody I've met here — the Irish and the English — they're like, 'Hey, we're pulling for you over China.' "

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
No. What was said was that the Irish and the English were hoping that this country (whatever country it was) would win in a competition between that country and China.

I disagree. It did not make much sense first, but after reading the article, I agree with 5jj's interpretation. Perhaps it would have been easier to grasp if the preceding paragraph had been included in the quote.

charliedeut

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Charlie, I think they are the same thing.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Maybe I missed something then. How come?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Ah, OK, I see it now. The 'No.' in Gillnetter's post was meant as an anser to the title thread :oops:

Sorry, Gillnetter, I misundertood that (man, what a day I'm having :oops:).

charliedeut

PS: Thanks Barb. Your observation made me realize my mistake.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree. It did not make much sense first, but after reading the article, I agree with 5jj's interpretation. Perhaps it would have been easier to grasp if the preceding paragraph had been included in the quote.

charliedeut

I think G.'s "No" was in response to the original post.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think G.'s "No" was in response to the original post.

Friday afternoon: Brain working slowly. Weekend ahead, Gott sei Dank.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes when I sense two answers might be in conflict (with a "no," etc.), I look at the time of posting. When they are less than five minutes apart, I assume the second person was writing while the first got posted.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Sometimes when I sense two answers might be in conflict (with a "no," etc.), I look at the time of posting. When they are less than five minutes apart, I assume the second person was writing while the first got posted.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The question's been answered, but it might be worth observing that the quoted sentence "And everybody I've met here — the Irish and the English — they're like, 'Hey, we're pulling for you over China' " sounds as if it's been translated into Am. Eng (although it's 'quoting' a speaker of Br. Eng). There are only 7 instances of 'pulling for' in BNC, and only two of those have the sense 'supporting as a supporter [not specifically a member of a team]':
1 K1S W_news_script A B C fastest karters are racing at Little Rissington on Sunday and the top rowers will be pulling for gold at Henley on finals day at the Royal regatta Read in studio A
2 K5A W_newsp_other_social A B C " I played better today than yesterday which was a struggle. The crowd were pulling for me to do well. " Veteran Japanese player, Isao Aoki, originally
3 K97 W_newsp_other_report A B C in the second half and I was very pleased with our teamwork, with everybody pulling for each other. " Paul Rideout scored an excellent goal, which will give his
4 CBG W_newsp_other_sports A B C Scarborough we are prepared to accept a David and Goliath situation in which everyone is pulling for little David. " But Graham added: " I will not be panic
5 CBG W_newsp_other_sports A B C gaffer keeps us together we'll do the business for him. We're all pulling for each other because we've all grown up together -- from the youth team to
6 B3G W_non_ac_soc_science A B C they were unable to comply with the surgeons instructions that they undertake no lifting or pulling for a period of time after the operation. Yet others say that the dependant
7 ASV W_misc A B C which said despair, courage, delirium -- before pointing our noses at infinity and pulling for dear life. We were nearly a mile and a quarter out, the
COCA has 218, most of which have that meaning. Here are the first 10:
1 2012 SPOK CBS_ThisMorning A B C but somebody in the White House is clearly watching. Do you think they're pulling for one candidate over the other or do you think it doesn't matter to
2 2012 SPOK Fox_Hannity A B C for San Francisco for once, you know. By the way, I'm pulling for the Giants to beat the Packers and you guys to win so the Giants
3 2012 SPOK CBS_ThisMorning A B C week you introduced us to Andrew and Gigi. I was sitting at home so pulling for them -- ERICA-HILL: Mm-Hm. GAYLE-KING: -- as I was watching the Oscars. Did
4 2012 SPOK CBS_ThisMorning A B C year. ERICA-HILL: Yeah. GAYLE-KING: Who is going to win, who're you pulling for? JASON-ALDEAN: I don't know. I can say -- Who -- who
5 2012 SPOK CBS_ThisMorning A B C 2009 rings true. He said, " When my dad sings, he's pulling for life. He's pulling from life. He has an innate ability to
6 2012 MAG WashMonth A B C how much lower it would go, and there were political currents below the surface pulling for the lowest possible number. In advance of the meeting, Virginia Governor McDonnell
7 2012 NEWS NYTimes A B C signed four 10-day contracts in his own N.B.A. career. # " I'm always pulling for a guy like that because I know what it's like wanting to accomplish
8 2011 SPOK Fox_Susteren A B C all the other families. And we are -- like you, we're all pulling for Congresswoman Giffords. Thank you very much. SIMON: Thank you, Greta.
9 2011 SPOK PBS_NewsHour A B C think we do need to watch the army, but I think the army is pulling for a resolution well short of putting them charge. JIM-LEHRER: Well, we
10 2011 SPOK NBC_Today A B C Move on. GIFFORD: Everybody will love to have you back. Everybody's pulling for you. I don't think we've heard that at all. KOTB
...[+ another 208]

b

Status
Not open for further replies.