English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Dear Teachers,
I'm looking for a general term referring to a company which produces parts for car manufacturers. Can I call it an automotive industry company? Would it sound good in the title of a university project?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "automotive industry" describes the main OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and their suppliers.

zajeys

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
New Zealand
Being just a novice, my doubt about the term " automotive Industry" is that it may imply companies like Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Jaguar etc. (who are assemblers of motor vehicles).

But the author may be looking for a term to describe small companies that supply components to the above mentioned assembly plants, with their products like carburettors, brake cylinders, starter motors, alternators, brake pads etc.

Very interesting question!
Thanks for the Teachers' replies.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Being just a novice, my doubt about the term " automotive Industry" is that it may imply companies like Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Jaguar etc. (who are assemblers of motor vehicles).

But the author may be looking for a term to describe small companies that supply components to the above mentioned assembly plants, with their products like carburettors, brake cylinders, starter motors, alternators, brake pads etc.

Very interesting question!
Thanks for the Teachers' replies.
IMO "the automotive industry" covers both car production and component manufacture.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to exclude the OEM's (Ford, Nissan, etc.) then refer to the automotive suppliers, or supply chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.