Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

I am absolutely at a loss about what De La Mare means by the bold text. There is a reference to Shakespeare so it may have something to do with him but still I cannot understand it at all.

And now that the bell-ringers have given up ringing it is more in my charge than ever.' He stood back and looked at me with folded hands, a whimsical childlike smile on his aged face. 'I sometimes think to myself I'm like the sentry, sir, in that play by William Shakespeare. I saw it, sir, yearsago, on my only visit to London--when I was a boy. If ever there were a villain for all his fine talk and all, commend me to that ghost. I see him yet.' Whisper though it was, a sort of chirrup had come into his voice, like that of a cricket in a baker's shop. I took tight hold of the velveted tag of his gown. He opened the door, pressed the box of safety matches into my hand, himself grasped the candlestick and then blew out the light. We were instantly marooned in an impenetrable darkness.

All Hallows, Walter De La Mare, 1927

Thanks a lot.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The speaker is telling the narrator that he knew the person the narrator had previously referred to, and knew him to be a villain despite all his fine talk and all. He asks the narrator to remind the deceased person of that acquaintance. It's a ghost story. More context would be helpful, a preceding paragraph or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.