Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
'"He said that we are going to go home after we get this job over and done with"

OR

"He said that we are going to go home once we finish this job."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
''Get over and done with'' and "finish "are equally common?

They're equally common but "to get something over and done with" frequently has a negative connotation.

I hate housework. I just want to get it over and done with.
My kids hate doing their homework, so when they get home, I tell them to start straight away. That way, it'll be over and done with quickly.
I have to have an injection later. I hope the doctor gets it over and done with fast because I don't like needles.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It probably depends on a number of things - the area you live in, your age, your education, and who you are speaking to. I usually associate, "Get it over and done with", with lower middle or middle class speakers.
So it has nothing to do with a negative connotation?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not as written. Any negative association would have to be added ahead or behind the term.

So I guess pretty much it has to do with the regional thing?

What do you say in California?

Last edited:

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
I can't agree with teacher. It's a very common expression in the UK. Even government ministers might use it, so it has no class association there. It always has a negative connotation.

The explanation by emsr2d2 is good, in my opinion.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can't agree with teacher. It's a very common expression in the UK. Even government ministers might use it, so it has no class association there. It always has a negative connotation.

The explanation by emsr2d2 is good, in my opinion.

It has to do with my first post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It has to do with my first post.

Even with your first post, I would read "...we are going to go home after we get this job over and done with" as suggesting a sense of relief, that you'll be glad to finish the job, which (to me) is more negative than positive as far as the job is concerned.

If you say "I'm going home when I finish this job" that is just a statement of fact. If you say "I'm going home when I get this job over and done with", I would understand that to mean that you're finding the job at least a little tedious and you will be happy when it's finished.

Perhaps it's just how a phrase has been used in one person's experience. In my experience, during my childhood, it was always used in relation to something that you really wanted to be over. That may not be the case for everyone, which explains the differences in our opinions of the phrase.

We have another phrase for finishing something - "it's all done and dusted". That, to me, has neither positive nor negative connotations.

Have you finished your homework? Yes, it's all done and dusted.
How are you getting on with decorating your house? Oh, it's done and dusted. We finished last week.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Even with your first post, I would read "...we are going to go home after we get this job over and done with" as suggesting a sense of relief, that you'll be glad to finish the job, which (to me) is more negative than positive as far as the job is concerned.

If you say "I'm going home when I finish this job" that is just a statement of fact. If you say "I'm going home when I get this job over and done with", I would understand that to mean that you're finding the job at least a little tedious and you will be happy when it's finished.

Perhaps it's just how a phrase has been used in one person's experience. In my experience, during my childhood, it was always used in relation to something that you really wanted to be over. That may not be the case for everyone, which explains the differences in our opinions of the phrase.

We have another phrase for finishing something - "it's all done and dusted". That, to me, has neither positive nor negative connotations.

Have you finished your homework? Yes, it's all done and dusted.
How are you getting on with decorating your house? Oh, it's done and dusted. We finished last week.
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It might be a British thing if what you say is true. I understand it as wanting to complete a task - good or bad has little to do with it. For example, "Let's wash the buses and get it over and done with", is merely a statment of what has to be done. The buses have to be washed, the workers are being paid for doing that job - where is the negative here?

Perhaps it is a British thing then, because if I heard "Let's wash the buses and get it over and done with" I would assume that it was an arduous task, not being done particularly happily and they couldn't wait to get it finished!

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It might be a British thing if what you say is true. I understand it as wanting to complete a task - good or bad has little to do with it. For example, "Let's wash the buses and get it over and done with", is merely a statment of what has to be done. The buses have to be washed, the workers are being paid for doing that job - where is the negative here?
That's what I've been trying to figure out throughout my previous posts.
For me as a non native speaker It seems that it's just a difference between BE and AmE. Am I right?

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece
There must be a difference between UK and AM, in that case. In UK English the connotation is that of an unpalatable task that has to be completed. At least that's how I see it.

Of course the problem is that the UK has many different dialects and the meaning of such phrases may vary across the country.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There must be a difference between UK and AM, in that case. In UK English the connotation is that of an unpalatable task that has to be completed. At least that's how I see it.

Of course the problem is that the UK has many different dialects and the meaning of such phrases may vary across the country.
Thanks mate;-)!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

Of course the problem is that the UK has many different dialects and the meaning of such phrases may vary across the country.[/QUOTE

I think that your comment on variations applies to the US as well as the UK. As an east coast AmE-speaker, my interpretation is the same as that of emsr2d2.

Status
Not open for further replies.