Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Finally, I entered the university. Because of my careful savings, I did not have to work during the school year. Then, summer came and it was time to work harder than ever. I continued working as a waitress at night and worked as a secretary for a few hours in the afternoon. I even decided to take a class at a community college. this class saved me $650.

If the author didn't take any class at a community college, he didn't pay anything.

Why did the author have to take a class at a community college when he could spend all his time making money?

Is it necessary for an American to take some classes in summer?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Finally, I entered [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] university. Because of my careful savings, I did not have to work during the school year. Then, summer came and it was time to work harder than ever. I continued working as a waitress at night and worked as a secretary for a few hours in the afternoon. I even decided to take a class at a community college. This class saved me $650.

If the author [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] hadn't taken any classes at a community college, she [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] wouldn't have needed to pay anything.

Why did the author have to take a class at a community college when she could [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] have spent all [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her time making money?

Is it necessary for an American to take some classes in summer?

I think classes at community colleges might be free or, at least, very low cost. From the tone of the piece, it appears that the writer is very careful with money and is working two jobs to get even more income. However, she was presumably interested in a subject and wanted to study it. If she had chosen to study it at university or college, she would have had to pay. Instead, she saved the $650 fee and studied it at community college.

I am British so I'm sure an American will come in with some much more accurate info!

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Community college is not free, but it is a much lower-cost option than most four-year colleges. When I went to school, you simply paid for an entire semester at a four-year college, and could take as few as 12 credits to be full-time (usually four classes) or as many as 21 credits (usually seven classes) with no change in fee, so I don't know why it saved her money. Perhaps she knew she was going to have to take a few more classes outside the regular semester, which she would have paid for individually, and those are usually quite expensive. You might have to do this if you change majors (your program of study) and have to make up some courses. I never took any summer classes, even though I changed majors twice.

Note the author said "waitress." That means she's female. Change your "he" to "she."

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank both of you! You are so helpful!

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My college career was at a university with "quarters", i.e. fall, winter, spring and summer quarters. Summer is usually optional, and many (most?) students do not attend summer quarter in order to return home, and usually to work. (In fact, may class series are set up in 3's, starting in the fall - for example Basket Weaving 101, 102, and 103, in fall, winter and spring, in order to complete out a full year of 3 quarters.) Summer may be used to make up any missed classes.

The semester system has two semesters per year, and I believe a shorter term in the summer, that functions the same way as in the quarter system. I don't know for sure how these work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.