Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I am not a teacher, but I have decent command of the English language. I am editing a text that was not written by me. The author had decided to use this sentence structure:
"
The car discussion website example.com hosts all kinds of forums from classics to muscle cars to educational and personal ones.
"

As part of my duties, I can modify the punctuation and make very slight grammatical alterations. This is what I came up with, but if there is a better phrasing (however keeping the original sentence structure) I would very much appreciate knowing what I could improve (explanations, not simply rewording for me):
"
The car discussion website example.com hosts all kinds of forums, from classics to muscle cars, to educational and personal ones.
"

Thank you!

Subquestion: The first sentence of this post contains the word "had". Should that have been "has", as the decision is still influencing events? Thanks!

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Does the site really host all kinds of forums? Are the educational and personal forums unrelated to cars?

I wouldn't use 'has' or 'had'. The author used this sentence structure.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I agree 'all kinds' is a bit far-fetched.

You can say:

Example.com is a car discussion website which hosts forums on topics which range from classics and muscle cars to education......

It's better to have the sentence flow to the end without commas.

What are 'personal forums'(personal ones)?

not a teacher

dotancohen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Does the site really host all kinds of forums? Are the educational and personal forums unrelated to cars?

I see what you mean. The site hosts many kinds, not all kinds. Thanks!

The educational and personal forums are in fact related to cars for purposes of discussion.

Therefore, the revised sentence would be:
"
The car discussion website example.com hosts many kinds of forums, from classics to muscle cars, including educational and personal forums.
"

I wouldn't use 'has' or 'had'. The author used this sentence structure.

I see, thanks.

I agree 'all kinds' is a bit far-fetched.

You can say:

Example.com is a car discussion website which hosts forums on topics which range from classics and muscle cars to education......

It's better to have the sentence flow to the end without commas.

Though I agree with you, I must respect the original author's structure. This is more a case of "make it compile" than "make it as good as it can be".

What are 'personal forums'(personal ones)?

Nothing more than a bad example! In the original sentence the objects were not forums, but I cannot post the original sentence here. I rewrote the sentence as my goal is to learn the correct English and apply that knowledge, not to have someone do the work for me!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.