Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I read the following content from a book:

-Could you help me give this letter to Jane? " if we ask a person to deliver a letter for me. (incorrect)

-Could you give this letter to Jane for me"? if we ask a person to deliver a letter for me. (correct)

In English, to "help someone do something" means you do it with them. When it is not to be done with the person, do not use "help", use' for".

Mary talked to his husband, she said "Could you please help me to make the dinner". (They will make the dinner together)

1. Do you agree with the above?

2. Is it natural to say "Could you please help me with this question?"

3. If we make requests, is it natural to say "Could you help me, please?"

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I read the following content from a book:

-Could you help me give this letter to Jane? " if we ask a person to deliver a letter for me. (incorrect) "Could you help me by giving this letter to Jane?" This is possible.

-Could you give this letter to Jane for me"? if we ask a person to deliver a letter for me. (correct) Yes.

In English, to "help someone do something" means you do it with them. When it is not to be done with the person, do not use "help", use' for".

Mary talked to her husband, she said "Could you please help me to make the dinner". (They will make the dinner together)

1. Do you agree with the above?

2. Is it natural to say "Could you please help me with this question?" Yes.

3. If we make requests, is it natural to say "Could you help me, please?" Yes.

Thanks for your help.

Bhai.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Thanks Bhai.

Mary talked to her husband, she said "Could you please help me to make the dinner". (They will make the dinner together)

Do you agree with the above?

If we say "Could you help me? ", does it mean that we ask someone to do it with me?

IreneRead

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It depends. Sometimes it means "do it instead of me". In other words, we need interference of the person whose help we ask for.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Bhai.

Mary talked to her husband, she said "Could you please help me [STRIKE] to [/STRIKE] make the dinner". (They will make the dinner together)
Do you agree with the above? Yes.

If we say "Could you help me? ", does it mean that we ask someone to do it with me? Depends on context i.e. what precedes or follows as in "Could you help me? I need you to deliver this to WinWin." (not together) OR "Could you help me?" I need to deliver this to WinWin and it's too heavy to carry by myself." (together)

b.

Status
Not open for further replies.