Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

Very often in summer we can see small children, actually infants, playing with buckets and shovels on a beach. Once I was walking on a beach and saw a small boy near the water. He was taking water from the pond, putting it in his bucket and then upseting this bucket in the sand. A stupid activity, but it's said to help children develop.

One of the women who was observing all that said: "If you go on this way, you'll soon exhaust the pond".
I wonder if exhaust is the best verb here. Can we say "... scoop out the pond" or "... bail out the pond" or maybe we need to say "... scoop out water from the pond" and/or "... bail out water the pond".

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

Very often in summer we can see small children, actually infants, playing with buckets and shovels on a beach. Once I was walking on a beach and saw a small boy near the water. He was taking water from the pond, putting it in his bucket and then upseting this bucket in the sand. A stupid activity, but it's said to help children develop.

One of the women who was observing all that said: "If you go on this way, you'll soon exhaust the pond".
I wonder if exhaust is the best verb here. Can we say "... scoop out the pond" or "... bail out the pond" or maybe we need to say "... scoop out water from the pond" and/or "... bail out water the pond".

Thanks
"Exhaust" is possible, "If you go on this way, you'll soon exhaust (the suppliy of water in) the pond". However, I would use "empty".

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Exhaust" is possible, "If you go on this way, you'll soon exhaust (the suppliy of water in) the pond". However, I would use "empty".

Thanks!!! What about "scoop out" and "bail out"? Could you suggest a context similar to the one given where it would be possible to use these expressions?

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
Drain the pond, but exhaust works fine too. It's a little too obvious to say bail out the pond.

not a tcher

Status
Not open for further replies.