corect grammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

battery

Member Type
Student or Learner
we normally say at theater , but if i am siiting inside the theater then what shoul i say i am in a/the theater or i am at a/the theather (other person doesnt knws which theater i am at so it will be a theater or the theater)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Everything depends on context.

You get a text message while you are waiting for the show to start. You text back: "I"m at the theater. I can't talk now."

It doesn't matter whether that he/she doesn't know which theater.

You are supposed to meet you friend at the theater. The show is about to start but she still has not shown up. You go in and take your seat. You get a text: Where are you??" You text back: "I'm in the theater. Come quickly before it starts!"

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
we normally say at theater , but if i am siiting inside the theater then what shoul i say i am in a/the theater or i am at a/the theather (other person doesnt knws which theater i am at so it will be a theater or the theater)

at the theatre/shop/market/train station - this is what we usually say when talking generally; the exact location isn't important: we could be inside or queuing up outside

in the theatre/shop/market/train station - read this as 'inside ...' - we are stating our location. Generally, as long as we're there, whether we are inside or outside doesn't matter and I think that's why we tend to say 'at' more often.

Although 'at' is more common, sometimes we use the 2 almost interchangeably, with a very slight difference in meaning:

(on mobile phone) "Where are you now?"

"I'm at/in the train station."

Status
Not open for further replies.