Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello Everyone,

I got "pull a monica" from the Tv Series friends, which mean do something terribly bad. I would like to know here if the phrase is commonly used in daily Enlgihs?:)

Regards

Sky

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello Everyone,

I got "pull a monica" from the Tv Series friends, which mean do something terribly bad. I would like to know here if the phrase is commonly used in daily Enlgihs?:)

Regards

Sky
I've never heard it. I've never seen an episode of "Friends".

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Everyone,

Regards

Sky

That's the episode where she's catering a dinner party for her mother, right? (I wish I could say I'd never seen an episode, however they seem to be on the television almost incessantly and they can be hard to avoid.)

If I remember correctly, the phrase only appears in that particular episode, and never became a catchphrase on the show - and it certainly never entered general usage here in the UK, although I can't vouch for whether or not it gets used in the US.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
That's the episode where she's catering a dinner party for her mother, right? (I wish I could say I'd never seen an episode, however they seem to be on the television almost incessantly and they can be hard to avoid.)

If I remember correctly, the phrase only appears in that particular episode, and never became a catchphrase on the show - and it certainly never entered general usage here in the UK, although I can't vouch for whether or not it gets used in the US.
I have never figured out the attraction of "Friends," but my students seem to love it. I suppose the phrase refers to some egregious act of which she was guilty, but it certainly hasn`t entered everyday English in the US.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have never figured out the attraction of "Friends," but my students seem to love it. I suppose the phrase refers to some egregious act of which she was guilty, but it certainly hasn`t entered everyday English in the US.

It's possibly the worst show on UK TV for constant repeats.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And that's saying something. ;-)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's possibly the worst show on UK TV for constant repeats.
God, I thought in civilized countries, like the UK, you never get to watch the same joke twice on TV! Well, that's kind of relieving... ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Due to Bill Clinton, "Monica" became associated with a different type of activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.