Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If the present tense verb ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound, (k,p,s,x,ch,gh,sh), the pronunciation in past tense is /t/.

Some people said the 'ed' ending of 'received' should be pronounced /t/ , does it mean that the 've' is pronounced 'gh'?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the present tense verb ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound, (k,p,s,x,ch,gh,sh), the pronunciation in past tense is /t/. As a general rule, that's true.

Some people said the 'ed' ending of 'received' should be pronounced /t/ , does it mean that the 've' is pronounced 'gh'?
Unless I'm reading this wrong, I don't agree. The "ed" in "received" sounds like a d, not a t.

Thanks for your help.

See above.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ems is right. The final sound of 'receive' is /v/, a voiced fricative; it is followed by the voiced stop /d/.
I the final sound is unvoiced, as in 'debrief', where the final sound is unvoiced /f/, then it is followed by unvoiced /t/.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2 and 5jj.

In the following video, a Chinese and an Indian crit
icized that most of the Hong Kong people pronounced the 'ed' in 'received" wrongly as /d/. The program is in Chinese (Cantonese), however, if you like, you can hear it when you see "The parcel has been received" as shown in 5.09 minutes in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrcZOTTpdU&feature=relmfu

I do not know whether I am right to copy the website here.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2 and 5jj.

In the following video, a Chinese and an Indian crit
icized that most of the Hong Kong people pronounced the 'ed' in 'received" wrongly as /d/. The program is in Chinese (Cantonese), however, if you like, you can hear it when you see "The parcel has been received" as shown in 5.09 minutes in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrcZOTTpdU&feature=relmfu

I do not know whether I am right to copy the website here.

They are wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the following video, a Chinese and an Indian criticized that most of the Hong Kong people pronounced the 'ed' in 'received" wrongly as /d/.
I don't know what is considered 'correct' in Hong Kong English but, in all major varieties of English, the 'ed' in 'reeived. is pronounced as /d/.

Status
Not open for further replies.