Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some people use 'kindly' in their requests with the meaning of 'Would you be kind enough to' or 'Please'.

I understand their polite intention, but to me kindly has authoritarian or impatient overtones. The Oxford ALD says that the word is "used to ask or tell sb to do sth, especially when you are annoyed", so I am not alone in feeling a negative sense.

However, I hear/see it so often that I am beginning to wonder if my feeling is outdated. I'd be interested to read what other native speakers feel about this.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Some people use 'kindly' in their requests with the meaning of 'Would you be kind enough to' or 'Please'.

I understand their polite intention, but to me kindly has authoritarian or impatient overtones. The Oxford ALD says that the word is "used to ask or tell sb to do sth, especially when you are annoyed", so I am not alone in feeling a negative sense.

However, I hear/see it so often that I am beginning to wonder if my feeling is outdated. I'd be interested to read what other native speakers feel about this.
I agree. In addition to the overtones you ascribe to it, I would add condescending.

Reactions: 5jj

MrRubik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I find that it's normally used by people in a subservient (don't know if that's exactly the word I mean) position in a formal setting where they feel obliged to use some kind of pleasantry even though they don't want to. I always find it very disingenuous, it seems the word of choice for people who don't want to be pleasant but feel they have to.

Subservient I meant like secretaries and people who work in customer services, there's probably a far better word to describe this relationship!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Subservient I meant like secretaries and people who work in customer services, there's probably a far better word to describe this relationship!
Subordinate?

MrRubik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Subordinate?
Um....I avoided that word. I wanted a word that had no connotations of inferiority and just described the relationship between customer/client and someone working in a position where there is an obligation to be hospitable.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "Kindly do the needful" seems to be a standard component of a request for assistance written in Indian English.

I would love to hear from 2010 or another native speaker of Indian English on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.