Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
These two figures, Uncle McDonald and Aunt McDonald seem to be clown companions for children. Considering "enter" and "has caught on", they seem to have not entered China yet and "has caught on" seems to explain only the American situation. What do you think? Did they already launch in the Chinese market?

st219) In China, the most populous country on earth, it has been government policy since 1980 not to havemore than one child. So the second generation of only children has no brothers or sisters, and because their parents are only children, too, they also have no aunts, uncles, or cousins. Enter Ronald McDonald, who is "Uncle McDonald," and his female counterpart, "Aunt McDonald." They are the extended family that is gone in China. They do what a good aunt and uncle do: take an interest in the children, talk to them and play games. Sometimes they do this while celebrating a child's birthday, an American custom previously unknown in China, which has caught on as single-child families and prosperity combine to create child consumers. Aunt and Uncle McDonald also visit the children at school and at home, something Americans would find very strange.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
These two characters have arrived in China. Though previously unknown in China, one American custom has caught on.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Enter Ronald McDonald, who is "Uncle McDonald," and his female counterpart, "Aunt McDonald." " sounded like a command for the future, so I was confused.
What did the writer mean by "enter"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's the form used in stage directions.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, I found it. So the sentence acts like "In this situation, Ronald McDonals comes in to solve the problem..." to make it more dramatic, I guess. If I'm wrong, please correct me please.

because their parents are only children, too, they also have no aunts, uncles, or cousins. Enter Ronald McDonald, who is "Uncle McDonald," and his female counterpart, "Aunt McDonald." They are the extended family that is gone in China. They

Act, Scene, Line
(Click to see in context)
Speech text
I,1,1
Enter ORLANDO and ADAM
I,1,22
[Enter OLIVER]
I,1,26
[ADAM retires]
I,1,76
Enter DENNIS
I,1,83