[Grammar] Please help me with my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

takataka

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would like to ask native speakers of English to judge whether the following expressions (especially the underlined ones) are acceptable or not. Even if you find them a little circumferential or periphrastic, it's OK. I'd like to know whether they are understandable or not.

a) Is there any reason that she was calling him? If so, it is because he set it up that way.

b) Is there anyone who can help us? If so, it is perhaps Jerry.

I would appreciate it if many people cooperate with this reserach. Thank you.

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes understandable, but seems awkward. My assumption will be that it is not from a native speaker.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I agree with mxreader, they are understandable but they are obviously not from a native speaker.

takataka

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your answers, maxreader and bhaisahab. Then I would like to ask you (and other viewers) another question similar to the previous one: Are the following expressions a) and b) acceptable? Or are they better than the expressions in my previous question?

a) Is there any reason that she was calling him? If so, why? (I think) It is because he set it up that way.

b) Is there anyone who can help us? If so, who is it? (I think) It is perhaps Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.