[Grammar] by themselves ~~~~~~~~~(ah... it seems very odd to me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
   :up: Doctors generally agree that such factors as cigarette smoking, eating rich foods high in fats, and alcohol consumption not only do damage
by themselves but also aggravate genetic predispositions toward certain diseases.:tick:

:?:Originally I wanted to delete "by themselves" because after deletion I felt it was a very good sentence.
Now I don't know what "themselves" refers to. "Such factors" or "damage" or others?

In fact, in my understanding "do damage" obviously means that "such factors" do damage one's body, so...
Is really necessary to use "by themselves" here?

Sincere thanks!

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's perfectly correct. "by themselves" refers to the named factors.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could replace "by themselves" with "directly". The factors that were mentioned cause direct damage. Aggravation of genetic predispositions is "indirect" damage.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

The think that stroked me as odd in that sentence is eating rich foods high in fat.

Cheers.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The thing that struck me as odd in that sentence is eating rich foods high in fat.

There's nothing wrong with that, Jaskin.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You could replace "by themselves" with "directly". The factors that were mentioned cause direct damage. Aggravation of genetic predispositions is "indirect" damage.
Yesterday after bhaisahab replied I still have a question but I did not dare to ask again.
Today I can't repress my emotion:). Since passive voice is used here, there is a verb that's omitted, and I guess it is "caused"(as the below) but I'm not sure.

...not only do damage (caused)
by themselves but also...

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hm...Can I understand that the original sentence actually tell us that the factors will directly cause diseases and aggravation of genetic predisposition indirectly cause diseases?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yesterday after bhaisahab replied I still have a question but I did not dare to ask again.
Today I can't repress my emotion:). Since passive voice is used here, there is a verb that's omitted, and I guess it is "caused"(as the below) but I'm not sure.

No, there is not a missing verb. The verb is "do". It has the meaning of "cause" in that use. To do damage by themselves means to cause damage without other factors.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm...Can I understand that the original sentence actually tell us that the factors will directly cause diseases and aggravation of genetic predisposition indirectly cause diseases?

That is the sense of the sentence as a whole.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I've just noticed that somehow we changed "The factors that were mentioned cause direct damage." to "the factors will directly cause diseases". I really have hard time accepting that as disease is not just simply result of physical injury.

Cheers.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I've just noticed that somehow we changed "The factors that were mentioned cause direct damage." to "the factors will directly cause diseases". I really have hard time accepting that as disease is not just simply result of physical injury.

Cheers.
Yes, of course, damage≠disease. But I want to say we only need to know that “direct” means more direct than “indirect”.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means they are damaging two ways:
* They can cause harm acting alone. Too much alcohol can damange the liver. A diet too high in fat can damange the heart. Etc. This is what it means when it says they are damaging by themselves.
* The can also cause harm in some people with certain genetic conditions, because they make these conditions worse.

In this case, it could be seen as direct and indirect, but it's not necessarily the case with all "by themselves."

The members of Hollywood's Rat Pack were not only all fine actors by themselves, but they also made oustanding ensemble movies.
Iron Man is not only a fun superhero himself, but also part of the Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.