Nepali
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
India
Hi Friends!
smile.gif

This is a little complex.

This is an example using both em dash and comma. Please do let me know whether both forms are okay.

1) He tried to create a little wealth[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]and a little security[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]in that situation.

2) He tried to create a little wealth, and a little security, in that situation. (the reason for comma is because I want a pause after wealth).

What I mean is: em dash creates a nice pause and THEN we add 'a little security' right after that. Can we also use comma in its place to create a similar effect?

Thanks,
Mr. X

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi Friends!
smile.gif

This is a little complex.

This is an example using both em dash and comma. Please do let me know whether both forms are okay.

1) He tried to create a little wealth[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]and a little security[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]in that situation.

2) He tried to create a little wealth, and a little security, in that situation. (the reason for comma is because I want a pause after wealth).

What I mean is: em dash creates a nice pause and THEN we add 'a little security' right after that. Can we also use comma in its place to create a similar effect?

Thanks,
Mr. X

NOT A TEACHER.

Both sentences are correct. The first one puts more emphasis on "and a little security."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd use the em-dash, but it's just a matter of style which one you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.