[Grammar] when to add "s" to words

Status
Not open for further replies.

papayaa71

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm still very confused when to add "s" to word in sentences and title of something. I understand singular and plural....(cat vs cats) but sentence below i dont know why add "s" to word """LEADS""". I also understand verbs ending in "s" are singular. I guess my confusion is what part of this sentence indicating to add "s" to the word "Leads"? Some explainations would be greatly appreciated.

Ex. For some people, just moving around leads to join pain.

also, title: Ex. Communication vs Communications

When is written as a title or topic of something it spells "Communications" why is that?

I know these are very simple questions for many people but as for me still very difficult to undestand.

thank you for your help in advance.

Luke

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm still very confused when to add "s" to word in sentences and title of something. I understand singular and plural....(cat vs cats) but sentence below i dont know why add "s" to word """LEADS""". I also understand verbs ending in "s" are singular. I guess my confusion is what part of this sentence indicating to add "s" to the word "Leads"? Some explainations would be greatly appreciated.

Ex. For some people, just moving around leads to join pain.

also, title: Ex. Communication vs Communications

When is written as a title or topic of something it spells "Communications" why is that?

I know these are very simple questions for many people but as for me still very difficult to undestand.

thank you for your help in advance.

Luke

In your first example, it is "the action of moving around" (a singular noun, which would convert to "it" hence 3rd person singular) which leads to joint pain.

I'm honestly not sure what leads to the difference between communication and communications. I'm sure someone else will be able to shed light on it.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm also not sure what is the difference between communication and communications. In my opinion /not native speaker/ it is the same.
But sometimes, apart the word meanings like radio, television, computers
and other means of communication /transmitting information/, there
are means of communication like transport or transportation /?/.
I mean: railway, air transport and others. My everyday mean of communication is my bike.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm also not sure what is the difference between communication and communications. In my opinion /not native speaker/ it is the same.
But sometimes, apart the word meanings like radio, television, computers
and other means of communication /transmitting information/, there
are means of communication like transport or transportation /?/.
I mean: railway, air transport and others. My everyday mean of communication is my bike.

Generally, we don't use communication to mean transport. I know it's used in other languages. Many of my Spanish students regularly tell me how well different towns in Spain are "communicated" by train, road, air etc. What they actually mean is "connected".

However, yes, I guess "communication" is the generic term for speaking, talking, telephoning, emailing, faxing etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.