Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think how you stress "quite large" makes any difference at all.

The stress on "white house" emphasizes whether it is the whiteness or the house that is important.

"I'm looking for a WHITE house" means I'm not looking for a house of any other color.

"I'm looking for a white HOUSE" means I'm not looking for a white barn or church or apartment building.

The White House is the residence and offices of the president. You might call it a mansion. It's not a "palace." Palaces are for kings.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

The stress on "white house" emphasizes whether it is the whiteness or the house that is important.

"I'm looking for a WHITE house" means I'm not looking for a house of any other color.

"I'm looking for a white HOUSE" means I'm not looking for a white barn or church or apartment building.

The White House is the residence and offices of the president. You might call it a mansion. It's not a "palace." Palaces are for kings.

Thanks for the response. Undoubtedly you are right about the definition of the word 'palace' but the usage of this phrase in talking about 'The White House' is undeniable.
Take a look at this:

At various times in history, the White House has been known as the "President's Palace," the "President's House," and the "Executive Mansion." President Theodore Roosevelt officially gave the White House its current name in 1901.
White House Facts

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Regardless of history, it is not called a palace now and the idea offends.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I do agree with you about number 3 and 4, I made a mistake there but I suppose there is a subtle difference between 'quite large and quite 'large according to where the stress falls. I'll appreciate more comments on it.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Regardless of history, it is not called a palace now and the idea offends.

Thanks for letting me know that, however I didn't try to convey anything special.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I suppose there is a subtle difference between 'quite large and quite 'large according to where the stress falls. I'll appreciate more comments on it.
I agree, but I don't agree with your suggestions in your first post. Here are my ideas:

The house is QUITE large. - It is fairly large. It is not very large.
The house is quite LARGE, - Its largeness is worth commenting on. It is not neccessaril very large, but it could be.

It is difficult to be precise, because the idea of 'largeness' is a very personal thing. My 'large' house would seem small to a person with ten times my income. All I can say is that, for the same speaker describing the same thing, 'quite LARGE' is larger (in the speaker's mind) than 'QUITE large'.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks dear 5jj
That was really what I've been searching. You are always helpful.
By the way, I missed you a lot. happy to meet you again dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.