What are your thoughts on Google Classroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a paid promotion
------

I've been using Google Docs for years now. The major selling point, for me at least, is that I can store my files online, and access them from any device as long as I can log into my account, which is especially useful when I forget to bring an important document with me.

It's also a great tool for collaborative projects because you can grant access to your files to other people, and specify whether they can view, edit, or comment on them. Naturally, I can see its great potential as a tool for both teachers and students. Teachers can create timetables and update them, remind of upcoming tests and assignments, give any relevant information they think their students would find useful, and add links to websites and other resources. Students, on the other hand, can always be up-to-date, post questions, take notes, and find out what they're missing out on when they've been absent for a few days straight because of, say, sickness, so they can catch up easily.

I recommend Google Docs for all teachers and students because I genuinely believe that using it is a win-win for both parties.

A few days ago, I found Google Classroom, which is meant to serve as precisely what I thought Google Docs could be used for. I'm wondering if any of you, dear teachers, uses either Google Doc or Google Classroom, and if you could tell me more about the possible applications.

---
I'm sorry if I sound hyped; it's because I am. :)

J

J&K Tutoring

Well that's all very nice. I'm glad it's working so well for you in your small part of the world. I would remind you, however, that a very large percentage of English language learners (and their teachers) worldwide do not have access to Google. I can usually reach Google through my VPN, but many of the benefits you so enjoy require that students have the same access as teachers, and that's not realistic where I am.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm glad my small part of the world is outside the Great Firewall of China then.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Microsoft offers the very similar functions of services i.e. Microsoft Doc, Onedrive, Bing, Microsoft Classroom too, which are all accessible in the mainland of China. But those are not very popular in China. I almost don't use them, except for Bing, if I need to look for info. in English and other languages. I use Onedrive very occasionally.

Apple has Apple Classroom too.

China-based QQ provides synchronized online Doc too, except for email service, online games, calendar, ICQ-like messager, online file storage, etc, though it doesn't have Classroom.

Online Classrooms are very close to teaching forums. I bought an online course and registered the forum, posting my questions on the forum, however the teacher is too busy to respond to. Just a few fellow students can help each other with very simple questions. His forum is virtually dead. Finally I go to other professional forums which are active.

It might be a trend to use online Classrooms like Google in the future. It is not technically difficult to set up such a platform at all for China-based IT companies, even we don't use Google, Microsoft, etc. if there are massive users, in other words, where the clients/money are, where the services are very likely available.

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Microsoft offers the very similar functions of services i.e. Microsoft Doc, Onedrive, Bing, Microsoft Classroom too, which are all accessible in the mainland of China. But those are not very popular in China. I almost don't use them, except for Bing, if I need to look for info. in English and other languages. I use Onedrive very occasionally.

Apple has Apple Classroom too.

Thank you, tree123, I didn't know there was such a variety of online classroom services in the market. I'll definitely give them a go.

Online Classrooms are very close to teaching forums. I bought an online course and registered the forum, posting my questions on the forum, however the teacher is too busy to respond to. Just a few fellow students can help each other with very simple questions. His forum is virtually dead. Finally I go to other professional forums which are active.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm interested in the service, that you can have your questions answered by your fellow students when the teacher is too busy to answer themselves.

drtc2019

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Google classroom is a good tool for uploading your lessons. You can also use it to communicate to your students. It's basically like Edmodo. A good learning management system. I've used both and I can say that Google Classroom has better interface. I'm using it at my small tutorial center.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's a good idea. It's very useful and simple.

Please note my corrections above. Are you quite sure you're an native English speaker and English teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.