Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'With real-time information, on the spot reports and in-depth investigations, it tells you what's on in the world.'

---------

The above is a quote from a media network's self-introduction on its television news program. Does 'what's on' mean 'what's happening' here? Thank you.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
'With real-time information, on the spot reports and in-depth investigations, it tells you what's on in the world.'

---------

The above is a quote from a media network's self-introduction on its television news program. Does 'what's on' mean 'what's happening' here? Thank you.

Well yes, it means "what's going on in the world", the newest tendencies, events.. A common question when watching or going to watch TV is: What's on today? meaning which programmes, films... are shown.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

---------

*****NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, jiaruchan.

(1) I agree 100% with MASM.

(2) I personally think that "what's on in the world" is not quite idiomatic.

(a) It should be either "what's going on" or "what's happening/ occurring."

(3) As MASM said, "What's on" can = What program is on TV/radio.

(a) That little word "on" is used in many, many ways.

(i) For example, a friend might ask: Hey! What's on for today? = That is, what plans do you have scheduled for today?

If you get some extra time, it would really benefit your English if you studied a good bilingual dictionary that has the many phrases with "on."

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.