How difficult is Allan Poe's short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor su

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When an American high school student reads Poe's short stories, will he find it easy and feel comfortable on reading it. Or wiil he encounter some difficulties. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When an American high school student reads Poe's short stories, will he find [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them easy and feel comfortable [STRIKE]on reading it[/STRIKE] to read? Or will he encounter some difficulties? Thanks.

I'm not American and I've read a couple of Poe's poems so I won't attempt to answer your question. However, please see the corrections I have made to your post. Remember to put a question mark at the end of a question.

Your title should have read "How difficult are Poe's short stories?"

Note that we refer to him either as "Edgar Allan Poe" or simply "Poe", but not "Allan Poe". Allan is just his middle name, not part of his surname.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on the story. His horror stories, which can be quite dense, may be harder to follow, but his detective stories would probably present less of a problem. However, it's English from the 19th century, so there are differences of grammar, vocabulary and expression.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When an American high school student reads Poe's short stories, will he find it easy and feel comfortable on reading it. Or wiil he encounter some difficulties. Thanks.

I am British. I read them when I was 12 or 13 with no problem.

victor su

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for the corrections.

victor su

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for the corrections.
I'm not American and I've read a couple of Poe's poems so I won't attempt to answer your question. However, please see the corrections I have made to your post. Remember to put a question mark at the end of a question.

Your title should have read "How difficult are Poe's short stories?"

Note that we refer to him either as "Edgar Allan Poe" or simply "Poe", but not "Allan Poe". Allan is just his middle name, not part of his surname.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thanks are appreciated, victor su, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on theLike button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.