[Vocabulary] will be able to see right back as far as we can go in the observable universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
What does 'right back' mean?I don't know how can use these words related together, in the other words :
"see back" or "see right back" or "right back"?which one are coorect?
AND WHAT DOES "the very first stars that formed and when basically the Universe switched on" MEAN?

"...Dr Aprajita Virma, University of Oxford:The extremely large telescope will be able to see right back as far as we can go in the observable universe and look at the very first stars that formed and when basically the Universe switched on. For exoplanets, extra-solar planets, we'll be able to look at their atmospheres and compare them to the planets in our own solar system and potentially look for signs of life.
Once the rock and rubble form the mountain is cleared, construction will begin in earnest. The telescope will take 10 years to complete...."

Source:BBC

Thanks.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I can read it in two ways (pardon my inexactness, I'm no expert in this field):

1. The telescope will be able to see/observe very distant stars. These stars are, as it were, "behind" of what we can see with smaller telescopes.

2. The telescope will be doing, in fact, "time travel". The ELT will be used to trace really old stars (either very distant, or with a faint light because it was emitted a long time ago and it has become "degraded" as it traveled the universe). So it will be "looking back" to a distant time when those stars were really young and, according to some theories, closer in time to the "Big Bang". SO the ELT will be looking right (straight) back to that time.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I can read it in two ways (pardon my inexactness, I'm no expert in this field):

1. The telescope will be able to see/observe very distant stars. These stars are, as it were, "behind" of what we can see with smaller telescopes.

2. The telescope will be doing, in fact, "time travel". The ELT will be used to trace really old stars (either very distant, or with a faint light because it was emitted a long time ago and it has become "degraded" as it traveled the universe). So it will be "looking back" to a distant time when those stars were really young and, according to some theories, closer in time to the "Big Bang". SO the ELT will be looking right (straight) back to that time.

Lots of thanks.
Did you mean 'back' here have a meaning as 'behind'?
How about the following meaning:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/back_2
further away in distance:
is that correct as well?

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, that is what I meant. And yes, Cambridge dictionary is usually a reliable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.