Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"There was a guy who eve teased a girl and got arrested. His parents tried to make the inspector that arrested him understand that he should be left or released but he didn't listen."

Please check.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Eve teasing" would not generally be understood outside some Asian countries. I'd never heard of it. Apparently it means sexual harassment in the street.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, it's common in India unfortunately. It means sexual harassment of a female by a male in a public place.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Eve is a proper noun, and the despicable practice you're writing about is a compound noun which should be hyphenated. Thus the term is Eve-teasing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"There was a guy who eve teased a girl and got arrested. His parents tried to make the inspector that arrested him understand that he should be left or released but he didn't listen."

Perhaps:

His parents tried to make the inspector that arrested him understand that he should be released, but the inspector didn't listen.

(Others here understand Eve-teasing better than I do, so I will let them address that.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I've learnt a new phrase here today. I had never heard of it. (It's a shame that such a term is necessary, of course.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I've learnt a new phrase here today. I had never heard of it. (It's a shame that such a term is necessary, of course.)

It's even more of a shame that such despicable behavior has such a light, friendly-sounding name, which was given to it by its perpetrators. I don't know how long the term has been in use, but it came into the Western news a year or so ago when some brave Indian women began organizing to put a stop to it, beginning with getting law enforcement to consider it criminal.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So essentially, this:
A guy sexually harassed a woman on the street, and was arrested for it. This guy's parents, who were also sexist and apparently blamed the woman for simply being present, tried to convince the inspector that their son wasn't responsible for his disgusting behavior, but the inspector had enough decency to ignore their enabling behavior and did not release him.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a cultural thing, I suppose. Any woman by herself is fair game. As for the term itself, it seems to appear at least as often in the lower case as in the upper case.

(The only "tempting" the biblical Eve did was nonsexual. She talked Adam into eating the forbidden fruit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.