[Grammar] What does the #1 limit in this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. I recently had a discussion about this wording on a coupon on a forum I frequent. I would love to know how to read it and why it reads that way.

Limit 1 coupons per purchase of product indicated per transaction in the same shopping trip.

My reading of that is 1 coupon for each purchase of a product, meaning you may purchase multiple products and use a coupon on each one, for each transaction in a shopping trip.

Another person reads that to mean you may only use 1 coupon no matter how many products purchased in the transaction.

TIA,
Michelle

J

J&K Tutoring

Companies big enough to give coupons should have attorneys to make certain someone couldn't take advantage of poor wording on the coupon to cause a financial problem for the issuer. That said, your example certainly is confusing, and only knowledge of the particular product would help make clear what could be meant by 'transaction' and 'trip'.

My guess would go something like this: The coupon is for a grocery item- let's say a can of soup. The issuer wants you to try their new soup, so they issue a coupon good for one free can of soup.

What the issuer seeks to avoid would be:
A. Someone printing up 10 coupons and bringing 10 cans to checkout, expecting to get all 10 of them at no cost.
B. Denied the above scenario, the shopper gets one can free, walks out the 'Out' door, back in the 'In' door and gets another single can of soup. Repeat 8 more times.

MichelleS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A transaction is defined as the sum of your purchases, each product being a purchase. CVS makes that clear as well as Target. It is well accepted through the coupon community that each item is a purchase.

A. Yes. CVS/pharmacy allows ONE CVS/pharmacy and ONE third party manufacturer coupon per item. A transaction is defined as the entirety of purchases on a single receipt.

MichelleS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My opinion is that the wording for my original question allows for 1 coupon for each purchase of a product in each transaction on your shopping trip.

Wanted to add a comparison with limits.
Also this is not a new product and is a dollar off coupon rather than for free. Not sure that matters.

P&G:
One coupon per product and quantity stated. Limit 4 like coupons in same shopping trip.

Unilever:
LIMIT ONE (1) COUPON PER PURCHASE on product/quantity specified and MAXIMUM OF TWO (2) IDENTICAL COUPONS allowed in same shopping trip.

Thank you again.

MichelleS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well I did ask too if I am correct in interpretation the structure of the sentence in question and why, if I was correct. You asked for definition of transaction and I provided it. It's been a long time since I have had any English lessons. There are rules that dictate the way the sentence reads, I was inquiring about them too. Not just justification to use as many coupons as I wanted.

Thanks again. Sorry if I am being annoying.

J

J&K Tutoring

Now I think I understand. There's often a big difference between the rules of English and the Rule of (coupon) Law. If it came into court, any conflict between the two would come down to who could afford the better lawyer(s), and I bet you (or I) would lose...

Status
Not open for further replies.