Comma before 'and'

• Thread starter cowgirl007
  • Start date
  • Views : 66,333
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cowgirl007

When is it appropriate to put a comma before the word 'and'? I always thought this was a definite no-no, but I am trying to settle a debate.

Can anyone advise? Many thanks in advance.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Cowgirl

It's always correct to put a comma before "and" where ambiguity would otherwise ensue:

1. I want to thank my parents, Sam and Dave.

Unless you are indeed the result of some curious monosexual coupling, change to:

1a. I want to thank my parents, Sam, and Dave.

Elsewhere, there are two schools of thought. School A says that where the last term of a list is introduced by "and", it is redundant to put a comma before that "and". Thus School A prefers:

2. I bought some apples, pears and oranges.

School B on the other hand thinks that the comma before "and" denotes a pause, and is therefore not redundant. Thus School B prefers:

2a. I bought some apples, pears, and oranges.

(For some reason, lists of fruits are obligatory in this particular debate.)

In British English, School A is predominant, especially in newspapers and magazines. However, some academic publishers (notably Oxford University Press; whence this comma's name, the "Oxford comma") belong to School B.

MrP

Phoebus.Apollo

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello Cowgirl

It's always correct to put a comma before "and" where ambiguity would otherwise ensue:

1. I want to thank my parents, Sam and Dave.

Unless you are indeed the result of some curious monosexual coupling, change to:

1a. I want to thank my parents, Sam, and Dave.

Elsewhere, there are two schools of thought. School A says that where the last term of a list is introduced by "and", it is redundant to put a comma before that "and". Thus School A prefers:

2. I bought some apples, pears and oranges.

School B on the other hand thinks that the comma before "and" denotes a pause, and is therefore not redundant. Thus School B prefers:

2a. I bought some apples, pears, and oranges.

(For some reason, lists of fruits are obligatory in this particular debate.)

In British English, School A is predominant, especially in newspapers and magazines. However, some academic publishers (notably Oxford University Press; whence this comma's name, the "Oxford comma") belong to School B.

MrP

very interesting Mr P.

In Australia, at least in an academic context, I have always found School A very much in ascendency. However, in reviewing a thesis today I came across school B from someone who is usually greamatically excellent.

I googled and found this entry. From memory (and this may be suspect) original Fowler's agrees with school A. Personally I find ", and" awkward and unwieldy- but probably only through experience.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
In Boston, this "serial comma" is called the "Harvard comma," and it is (or at least was) taught as mandatory in the Boston Public Schools (or at least in Latin School) (or at least in Miss Ellison's English class!)

Oddly, Harvard's style manual does not use the Harvard comma, but there are plenty of prestigious defenders of both schools of thought, and good arguments on both sides:
Serial comma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I liked PA's fusion approach -- "I'll use it when I feel like it! If it helps, fine; if not, no way."

But Wiki makes a case that it is this very absence of a universal standard that can cause some ambiguity.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think commas, like breathing in opera, should be left to the singer to decide. To hell with rules.

Ann1977

Member Type
Academic
I think commas, like breathing in opera, should be left to the singer to decide. To hell with rules.

Right on, Brother! :up:

Power to the people!

Would you mind explaining this to Miss Ellison?

I . . . err . . . I for some reason don't quite feel up to doing it myself . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.