Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I used to have a growing feeling of admiration for Jassie but, since I was going to stay focused on my career, I shut it out." Does this sentence make sense?

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"I used to have a growing feeling of admiration for Jassie but, since I was going to stay focused on my career, I shut it out." Does this sentence make sense?

Yes, if the intended meaning is that he decided to supress his feeling of admiration for Jassie because it somehow interfered with his career aspirations.

not a teacher

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Yes, if the intended meaning is that he decided to supress his feeling of admiration for Jassie because it somehow interfered with his career aspirations.

not a teacher

"We were losing 2-0 but managed to tie the first half with two late goals. In the second half we totally shut them out and scored one goal ahead."

Can I use "shut out" to mean that we completly gained control over the rival team?

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
The principal meaning of "shutout" is not just controlling the opponent, but keeping them scoreless. Usually this is for an entire game, or winless over a series of games.
But you can also say, in reference to your example: "We shut them out in the second half and went one goal up just before full time", or something similar.
"Shutout" is much more common in AmE, coming as it does from baseball terminology dating back to its earliest days, and a US member may have another angle on this.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The principal meaning of "shutout" is not just controlling the opponent, but keeping them scoreless. Usually this is for an entire game, or winless over a series of games.
But you can also say, in reference to your example: "We shut them out in the second half and went one goal up just before full time", or something similar.
"Shutout" is much more common in AmE, coming as it does from baseball terminology dating back to its earliest days, and a US member may have another angle on this.

Can I say score one goal up?

Would you use in progressive tenses? "She's been shutting me out of her problems at work cause she doesn't want to burden me with it."

Can I use "on" in this sentence, "shut out on problems"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't much like "I used to have a growing feeling of admiration...", it doesn't seem at all natural to me. "I used to have a feeling..." or "I had a growing feeling..." are better in my opinion.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I don't much like "I used to have a growing feeling of admiration...", it doesn't seem at all natural to me. "I used to have a feeling..." or "I had a growing feeling..." are better in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. What about my previous question ? Would you use "shout out" in progressive tenses?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for the tip. What about my previous question ? Would you use "shout out" in progressive tenses?
"She's been shutting me out of her problems at work because she doesn't want to burden me with them." This is OK.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Can I say score one goal up?

No, you "go a/one goal up", meaning you go ahead by one goal, or you can "be a/one goal up" or "a/one goal down", "two goals down" – whatever the situation is. For example: "The scores were level at half-time but we went a goal up soon after the break and held on to win the game". "At half-time we were two goals down but came back well to draw the match 2–2".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"She's been shutting me out of her problems at work because she doesn't want to burden me with them." This is OK.

Can I say "shut out on" or "score one goal up"?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What do you say when a player scores a goal and team get ahead in the game?
You can say that the team has scored a goal and/or gone one goal up but not scored one goal up.

Status
Not open for further replies.