The K sound of "Asked him", "Basically".....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi Everyone,

When I listen to native speakers to speak the following words / sentences, sometimes I can't hear they'll pronounce the "k" sound. For instance, "I asked him", I just can hear "I astim" without the k sound, and "basically", sometimes pronounce as "basi-ly" seems the "k" sound is not obviously pronounced.....

I was wondering if the k sound could be silent when we speak these sentences and words....Please advise.

EngFan

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everyone,

When I listen to native speakers to speak the following words / sentences, sometimes I can't hear they'll pronounce the "k" sound. For instance, "I'll asked him", I just can hear "I'll astim" without the k sound, and "basically", sometimes pronounce as "basi-ly" seems the "k" sound is not obviously pronounced.....

I was wondering if the k sound could be silent when we speak these sentences and words....Please advise.

EngFan
No, it shouldn't be silent.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If so, is it the glottal stop?
No, it's a 'k'. /k/ as in "cat', khaki, King's College, Cambridge".

Yes, you will hear people who don't articulate their words properly. If someone leaves out a 'k', then I suppose they could insert something else, like a 't' in 'astim' (your example*), or nothing (as in 'ars him'), but does it matter? These are people you shouldn't emulate.

There are some letters that are silent in English, for example the 'b' in doubt, 'gh' in 'night, etc. 'k' in the examples you've given is not one of them.

* "I'll asked him" is not grammatical. "I asked him" is. If someone said "I astim", they probably mean "I as[k]ed him", in which case they have simply dropped the 'k'.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
No, it's a 'k'. /k/ as in "cat', khaki, King's College, Cambridge".

Yes, you will hear people who don't articulate their words properly. If someone leaves out a 'k', then I suppose they could insert something else, like a 't' in 'astim' (your example*), or nothing (as in 'ars him'), but does it matter? These are people you shouldn't emulate.

There are some letters that are silent in English, for example the 'b' in doubt, 'gh' in 'night, etc. 'k' in the examples you've given is not one of them.

* "I'll asked him" is not grammatical. "I asked him" is. If someone said "I astim", they probably mean "I as[k]ed him", in which case they have simply dropped the 'k'.

Sorry, it was typo for "I'll asked him"....the correct one is "I asked him".....

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I wouldn't consider this any less correct than saying internet /inɚnɛt/ or dentist /dɛnɪst/. It's not a matter of inarticulacy.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wouldn't consider this any less correct than saying internet /inɚnɛt/ or dentist /dɛnɪst/. It's not a matter of inarticulacy.
It is indeed no less correct. It is also no more correct.

Things may change but, at present, the pronunciations we are discussing are regarded by some as a sign of imperfect education. Some eminent people may pronounce the words in this fashion but, for learners, Raymott's advice is sound: These are people you shouldn't emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.