Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is an adjective in English that means "containing spices/herbs". Can I use the word 'spicy"? I've always thought it's a synonym of 'hot', so spicy food creates a burning feeling in your mouth.
A dish may contain lots of spices and herbs and have a piquant flavour, but remain not burning.

For example, mulled wine contains cinammon and clove, but it doens't burn your mouth. Can I describe it as a spicy drink?

Thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is an adjective in English that means "containing spices/herbs". Can I use the word 'spicy"? I've always thought it's a synonym of 'hot', so spicy food creates a burning feeling in your mouth.
A dish may contain lots of spices and herbs and have a piquant flavour, but remain not burning.

For example, mulled wine contains Cinnamon and clove, but it doesn't burn your mouth. Can I describe it as a spicy drink?

Thank you!
Call it "spiced" rather than "spicy".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We don't capitalize "cinnamon", do we?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you!
It's really interesting why it is so. We add spices, but can describe our dish as 'spicy' only when it is hot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's really interesting why it is so. We add spices, but can describe our dish as 'spicy' only when it is hot.
It's not so common, but there is a similar contrast with salted and salty.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
5jj, I'm afraid I don't get it :-(.
I assume that 'salted' = with some salt added, whereas 'salty' = tasting of salt. However, both salted and salty food makes our receptors feel salt. I don't see how they relate to 'spiced' and 'spicy'.
'spiced' = with spiced added, 'spicy' - hot, creating a burning feeling in one's mouth.
Kimchi dish is really spicy. It always makes me want to drink some water to get rid of that burning feeling. Our Russian sbiten is spiced, leaving a pleasant flavour of ginger and sage.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I assume that 'salted' = with some salt added, whereas 'salty' = tasting of salt. However, both salted and salty food makes our receptors feel salt. I don't see how they relate to 'spiced' and 'spicy'.
'spiced' = with spiced added, 'spicy' - hot, creating a burning feeling in one's mouth.
OK - Bad suggestion of mine.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Kimchi dish is really spicy. It always makes me want to drink some water to get rid of that burning feeling. Our Russian sbiten is spiced, leaving a pleasant flavour of ginger and sage.

What about "our Russian sbiten is flavoured", "our Russian sbiten is pleasantly flavoured", or "our Russian sbieten is pleasantly flavoured with ginger and sage"?

Does not "flavoured" satisfy your need to describe a flavoured food?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

What about "our Russian sbiten is flavoured", "our Russian sbiten is pleasantly flavoured", or "our Russian sbieten is pleasantly flavoured with ginger and sage"?Does not "flavoured" satisfy your need to describe a flavoured food?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi, Khosro.
It does. I just got surprised at the restrictive meaning of 'spicy'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.