Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Dear all,
you will find a first attempt of mine with a small taste of humor in it (actually the ps). This is an email I would send tomorrow morning to my colleagues. Please read the email and comment as needed

Dear all,
I would like to thank you for the nice birthday card I have received for my birthday. Since that was last Monday that I was traveling please find in the kitchen today some sweets.
Also Monika had on Monday her first birthday (counting 1 year and three days old) and she wanted also to share some sweets with you (see screenshot).

Both sweets would be by the coffee machine. Feel free to grab a selection of those (*) and accompany your coffee with them.

Have fun
Alex
(*) Warning: moderate consumption of sweets can lead to a healthy life style.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Jokes are almost impossible to do in a foreign language.

Your expression is not perfectly natural, but it seems to me genuine, affectionate and appropriate to its apparent context. Unless your job is such that your colleagues speak almost perfect English, I think you should just send it as is. They will understand and appreciate it.

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Jokes are almost impossible to do in a foreign language.

Your expression is not perfectly natural, but it seems to me genuine, affectionate and appropriate to its apparent context. Unless your job is such that your colleagues speak almost perfect English, I think you should just send it as is. They will understand and appreciate it.

Hi thanks for sharing your thoughts. As you said it is very hard to make jokes in a foreign language. Being part of a group though requires to be part of it in any aspect, with humor being a major component of it. You hear other making jokes and there is just this inner tense that forces you to take part in.

Regards
Alex

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It wasn't until the end that I understood your use of the asterisk. It's a kind, playful letter. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.