[General] whather is it relevant to the topic or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahadur Ali Tunio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What's in a name?
Juliette was right when she asked Romeo "What's in a name? That which we call a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Surely enough, names are no more than arbitrary labels, which we have assigned to anyone. As a name is used only to distinguish a person or other thing from others. So it has no other uses. In fact, as aforesaid lines of Shakespeare state that a rose will smell as sweet as it does, even if we change its name by tomato, table or a book. Indeed, its properties remain same because they are divine in their nature. Same is the case with human beings. For instance, had Christiano Ronaldo a different name, he would have had the same popularity and prestige in the world. So, what's in a name? Nothing.

However, contrary to above mentioned Shakespearian opinion, for majority of the people it is everything. The name. There are the people who name their children after consulting with their religious luminaries and even fortunetellers. It is because for them the name is very decisive in the life. Russia has a bulk of Alexanders, USA Johns, Saudis Abduls and the story goes on. They also carry the names of their forefathers rejecting the Shakespearian rhetoric. Ironically, their case seems stronger than Shakespearians'. Because as they have faiths, they tend to name their children in such a way so that they may get the best of the both worlds. A Muslim cannot have a name of Hindu origin. So are the Hindus. In fact, they consider "name" a way of prestige. So, what's in a name? Everything.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

What does your title mean?

Do you have a question for us? When is your piece of writing due to be submitted to your teacher/tutor for grading or marking?

Last edited:

Bahadur Ali Tunio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Re: please check whether these two paragraphs are relevant to the topic or not?

Title was supposed to be more correct but there I did blunder. Sorry

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

OK. Now please answer the other two questions I asked.

Bahadur Ali Tunio

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

I want to know, as title of this piece of writing is " What's in a name?", these two paragraphs follow the topic or not? Are they relevant to the topic.
Secondly, I am not going to submit this piece of writing anywhere but before Using English.com. I just want to know how good or bad my writing is?

Status
Not open for further replies.