[Idiom] Tek could be use as a synonym of Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcovich

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hi guys, I'm working in a new Tech Magazine in my country, and I'm in charge of change its name. So one of my ideas its call it just TekSomething, with some prefix like Home or Living, my questions is Tek could be use as a synonym of Tech? Or does it has no sense to you, or is it wrong in some way?

Thanks for any advice about this way to shorten Tech.
Greetings.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't recognise "Tek" as an alternative for "Tech" although there is nothing to stop you from simply spelling it phonetically for a magazine title. Titles don't have to include real words.

As far as shortening "Tech" is concerned, it's already a shortened form of technology so I don't see how you're going to shorten it further, other than using "Tec" but that has the same issues as "Tek".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In a name, you can do pretty much anything you want, but the IT industry, which is fond of playing with words and spellings, generally sticks to tech.

Marcovich

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hi emsrd2d, I really appreciate your time and words. I was looking for something besides Tech since it is almost impossible to find a trademark or buying a .com using "Tech" itself since is such a keyword, so it came to me this way to use "Tek", something like TekHome (Write about the newest technology on intelligent kitchens), TekNews, TekLiving, etc and with some tagline like: Technology and Business -or such- to determine that Tek stands for Tech, but I was(am) kind of afraid of being butchering in some way the English, or doing something too slang for Native English Speakers that can sound offensive, or in the other hand if I may be doing something totally wrong in some way.

Thanks again for your time and your replied.
Greetings.

Marcovich

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hi Tdol, I didn't see your reply before my last reply, thanks for your time as well. I'm in this crossroad, even thought that Tek is made-up and I can use it as a title, does it could pass as Tech? I mean, with a tagline, and the editorial material of the magazine Tek could be understood as Tech?

I'm not trying to force something that cannot be, if you say that Tek doesn’t could ring any bells on Tech I'll move on with the next idea, I'm just want to be sure what to do based on your (Native English Speakers) experts opinions.

Thanks again for your time and words.
Greetings.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Tdol said, in a name you can use anything you want. There's certainly nothing offensive about "tek" and I'm sure when said aloud people would hear "Tech-Home" or whatever you want the company to sound like. I don't think it's possible to answer whether it would automatically mean anything when written down though. I would just assume it was either a misspelling or an "on purpose" misspelling of the word "tech".

As a side note, I just Googled "tek home" and there dozens of companies/websites with that name already.

Marcovich

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hi emsr2d2. I really appreciate your help. As far as I can understand all your replies, in one hand Tek has no meaning at all, but in the other hand in titles we are kind of save of making-up anything we want. As I can see it this misspelling way to write It has not other urban meanings lurking below, and in Titles Is not a crime to do this kind of phonetic names -like lil instead of Little- and nobody is going to jump off a bridge. So, I conclude that is not such a bad idea (Not the best for sure : ) )

About other companies using TekHome, yes, I saw that too, but this name is most like a section of the magazine, the main name will be other using TekSomething (I'm not quite inclined to one noun by now) I just wanted to be sure that I was not doing something that could sound silly or in fact doing something totally out of any sense.

I really, really appreciate the time that you spend helping others with your knowledge, corrections and advices.

Thanks from Costa Rica.
Greetings.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Etymological note: the 'ch' represents a single Greek letter - χ. Donald Knuth invented a text-handling system called 'Teχ'. For typographical convenience - against Knuth's wishes - it was widely known as 'TeX.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.