Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kris asked me why I chose to teach kids and work as a tutor, I replied "I don't like to deal with people with tricks and schemes; people who are manipulative."

I don't know how to explain "tricks and schemes" so I used a synonym "manipulative". I like working people are simple and not complicated. Is my italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As written, it says you don't like using tricks and schemes to deal with people, so it doesn't say what you mean. Here's a simpler sentence that would work: "I don't like to deal with tricky, scheming, manipulative people."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Kris asked me why I chose to teach kids and work as a tutor,
Do you mean as two separate activities?

Is my italic sentence natural?
No. Try:
I like teaching/tutoring kids because they are not scheming or manipulative, unlike some of the adult students I've had before.
[ cross-posted]

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean as two separate activities?

No, I should have said "...why I chose to work as a tutor to teach kids' English".

I appreciate your help, teechar and GS. In my city, there aren't many people speaking English. Teachers of English focus more on how to help students get high scores than teach them how to use this language.

Recently, I've been trying to speak English in front of a group of people. I felt nervous and I made mistakes. But each time when I think of the fact that I have so many wonderful teachers like you, I feel confident again.

Much appreciated!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My shot. I would say, "Kris asked me I why I like to work with kids instead of adults. I said adults can be manipulative, and I don't want to play those games."

Status
Not open for further replies.