1% missing for a scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

yper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hey,

if I could 'prove' only one of those gap fills, I'd get a scholarship. It would make my life much easier.

I have already defended them but if anything else comes to your mind, how would you defend them, please post it.

Only 1% missing and I want to maximize the success so I kindly ask you to help me.

Thank you!

--

1 - She has been given hope FROM one of the charities...

Besides BY and THROUGH we can also use FROM as there is no grammar rule that forbids it. Hope came 'from'...

--
2 - ...- it's an indictment of an indifferent western world, which tolerates such cruel waste so EASILY as it is outside the gaze of our television cameras.

OR: Such cruel waste is so easily tolerated as it is outside the gaze of our television cameras.

Instead of a phrase SO LONG AS we can use AS separately.

--
3 - And almost one OF three (children) is stunted in height.

In a sense of 'one third' is besides IN usage of OF also acceptable (example: printing documents in Word: 'printing 1 of 5 copies'), also there is no grammar rule which would contradict that, and there is no difference in meaning.

--
4 - The family now has a mosquito PROTECTION to sleep under.

PROTECTION is a hyponym of other acceptable solutions (net, cover, mash, curtain).

--
5 - Many have only one day off a month – and some no DAY at all.

Logic sentence continuation and (Some people have no day off at all) grammatically acceptable.

--
6 - Dr Richard Stone, an adviser to the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry said yesterday: “This seems TO BE a premeditated attack aimed at causing distress to the Lawrence family because they are black.”

The time of the narrator could be in present even though the attack is in real past time.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hey,

if I could 'prove' only one of those gap fills, I'd get a scholarship. It would make my life much easier.

I have already defended them but if anything else comes to your mind, how would you defend them, please post it.

Only 1% missing and I want to maximize the success so I kindly ask you to help me.

Thank you!

Hmm, I doubt whether this will affect your scholarship chances if they've already decided against it, but ...

--

1 - She has been given hope FROM one of the charities...
That's OK. "By" is better.

Besides BY and THROUGH we can also use FROM as there is no grammar rule that forbids it. Hope came 'from'...

--
2 - ...- it's an indictment of an indifferent western world, which tolerates such cruel waste so EASILY as it is outside the gaze of our television cameras.
That's acceptable.

OR: Such cruel waste is so easily tolerated as it is outside the gaze of our television cameras.

Instead of a phrase SO LONG AS we can use AS separately. No

--
3 - And almost one OF three (children) is stunted in height.

Note really. It's "in".

In a sense of 'one third' is besides IN usage of OF also acceptable (example: printing documents in Word: 'printing 1 of 5 copies'), also there is no grammar rule which would contradict that, and there is no difference in meaning.
Grammar and meaning are not the only things being tested here. Usage is too.

--
4 - The family now has a mosquito PROTECTION to sleep under.

"a mosquito protection" isn't right. "Protection" is uncountable here.

PROTECTION is a hyponym of other acceptable solutions (net, cover, mash, curtain).

--
5 - Many have only one day off a month – and some no DAY at all.
"days" would be more commonly used.

Logic sentence continuation and (Some people have no day off at all) grammatically acceptable.

--
6 - Dr Richard Stone, an adviser to the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry said yesterday: “This seems TO BE a premeditated attack aimed at causing distress to the Lawrence family because they are black.”
Nothing wrong with that sentence, unless there is further context that necessitates "to have been". If the attacks have stopped, "to have been" is correct.

The time of the narrator could be in present even though the attack is in real past time.
R.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't agree with this as a defence as grammar rules don't govern choice of preposition, which is largely controlled by meaning and collocation. Grammar rules would be involved in whether a preposition is required and where.

yper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it.

Hmm, I doubt whether this will affect your scholarship chances if they've already decided against it, but ...
It is a country wide testing and you have one chance to improve your grade by sending a paper with arguments why something could be also correct. If I defend them good enough they will probably accept it.

Please note also that people that correct these tests are not native speakers and if there's a slight chance that they buy it, I'll go for it.

Instead of a phrase SO LONG AS we can use AS separately. No
How should I defend it then?

But is 'day' correct? How would you defend it?

Note really. It's "in".

"a mosquito protection" isn't right. "Protection" is uncountable here.
Any way to defend these two?

Buy 'day' is correct? How would you defend it?

I can't agree with this as a defence as grammar rules don't govern choice of preposition, which is largely controlled by meaning and collocation. Grammar rules would be involved in whether a preposition is required and where.
How would you defend it?

yper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Nothing wrong with that sentence, unless there is further context that necessitates "to have been". If the attacks have stopped, "to have been" is correct.

Here is the article (sorry, I can't post links):
independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/attack-on-lawrence-memorial-was-racist-782542.html

Let me quote the last part where that sentence appears:
Dr Richard Stone, an adviser to the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry said yesterday: "This seems to have been a premeditated attack aimed at causing distress to the Lawrence family because they are black.
"This is a sad day for people committed to equality of human beings and is a reminder of the injustice faced by the Lawrences."
Yesterday's attack is the fourth time that the centre has been targeted by vandals in the past year.
The attacks happened yesterday.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it.

It is a country wide testing and you have one chance to improve your grade by sending a paper with arguments why something could be also correct. If I defend them good enough they will probably accept it.

Please note also that people that correct these tests are not native speakers and if there's a slight chance that they buy it, I'll go for it.

How should I defend it then?

But is 'day' correct? How would you defend it?

Any way to defend these two?

Buy 'day' is correct? How would you defend it?

How would you defend it?
These are interesting questions, but I'm not a lawyer, so I generally don't try to defend things that I consider wrong.
I've told you which ones I think could be correct. I've said that 1, 2 and 6 seem correct to me. If I were you, I'd submit such judgements by native speaker to the panel.

yper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Ok, thanks for all the help. Now I just need to be patient and wait 2 months to get an answer.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think you can defend 'a mosquito protection'- it's wrong. Also, I don't think that your choice of from for the first can really be defended. I wouldn't try including ones that are wrong or dubious- focus on 6, which is fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.