Confusion using simple past and past perfect tenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Though it may invite ridicule but I have to say. I don't know when to use simple past and perfect tenses. Can anyone of the kind teachers please tell what does it take to make past simple a past perfect tense? I mean how old an event can be categorized into a past perfect tense?

For example I say, "I made so many mistake in my article".
When am I supposed to say , "I had made so many mistakes in my article"?

thanks in anticipation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Apart from in counterfactual conditional utterances, you do not need to use the past perfect unless you wish to make it absolutely clear that one past action occurred before a later past action, as in:

When I arrived, he had left.

Try the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of this page, and come back if you have specific questions.

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Sir Fivejj thank you for your valuable post. Now, what I could get from your above post and the links you advised me to have a look at, I should try not to use past perfect tense in sentences like: I had made so many mistakes. Is that so? Simple past would suffice in these kind of sentences. Rest, i.e. use in counter-factual scenarios, and describing an event that has occurred before another, is very much understood.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sir Fivejj thank you for your valuable post. Now, what I could get from your above post and the links you advised me to have a look at, I should try not to use past perfect tense in sentences like:" I had made so many mistakes". Is that so? Simple past would suffice in these kind of sentences.
It's impossible to say without more context.

Status
Not open for further replies.