[Grammar] Is my sentence grammatically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmabrouk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I have a habit to write the way I write down the below sentence.

" Being at the preparation stage we still not giving the full attention organizing the document. "

Instead of writing:

" Being at the preparation stage we still not giving the full attention for organizing the document"

Which one is accurate and well constructed or neither?

Thank you for your support.

Mohamed

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

" Being at the preparation stage we still not giving the full attention organizing the document. "

Instead of writing:

" Being at the preparation stage we still not giving the full attention for organizing the document"

Mohamed

I assume that "preparation" refers to preparing the document. If so, and if organizing the document will happen after the preparation stage, I would write: "Being at the preparation stage, we are not yet giving our full attention to organizing the document".

Other sentences are also possible.

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Instead of writing:

Mohamed
I have just read your sentence, Mohamed, and I would put your sentence like this:

'' Being at the preparation stage, we are not being given full attention for organizing the document yet. ''

The word ''still'' in your sentence would be more suitable to me if you were not at the preparation stage but, let us say, at a more advanced stage.

''Still'' implies that you would have expected more full attention by now.

Mind you, Mohamed, I am not a teacher. I am using my gut feeling like I always do in my native language.

Hope this helps.

Joern

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have just read your sentence, Mohamed, and I would put your sentence like this:

'' Being at the preparation stage, we are not being given full attention for organizing the document yet. ''

The word ''still'' in your sentence would be more suitable to me if you were not at the preparation stage but, let us say, at a more advanced stage.

Mind you, Mohamed, I am not a teacher. I am using my gut feeling like I always do in my native language.

Hope this helps.

Joern

This is not correct, Joem. Mike's rewrite is correct.

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
This is not correct, Joem. Mike's rewrite is correct.

Got it! It is about them giving attention and not being given attention.

Sorry!

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Hope this helps.

Joern

Sorry Mohamed,

I should have written:

'' Being at the preparation stage, we are not giving full attention to organizing the document yet. '' because it is about you not giving full attention to organizing the document.

Joern

mmabrouk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you all for your time.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You don't need to make a new post to thank us for our time, mmabrouk – just click the Like button on any answers you find useful.

Please note that a better title would have been organizing the document.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Don't leave spaces after opening quotation marks and before closing quotation marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.