Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear all,

Would you please help me in categorizing the underlined part of the following paragraph.

Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policey, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policy, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

Dear Teacher,

Acting upon your advice, I am giving my understanding on it, hoping to get assistance from you.

A) i don't know the meaning of "Amid Vocal opposition"

my guess is - it is completing the meaning of "where did Delhi Development Authority meet", shows adverb of place. So it can be a prepositional phrase working as adverb.

B) AIM can be a verb. Its subject is Delhi Development Authority. Most probably this is right as after "aimed at" gerund is coming which is the object.

C) depending on the size of the plots can be adverbial phrase or adjective phrase as it is describing about Verbal noun (regularizing, allowing)

Rajan

I'm certainly happy to help. Help means to assist and I will assist you. This can be done by you writing what you think the answers are. Then, I will assist you by giving you my opinion of your answers.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

Would you please help me in categorizing the underlined part of the following paragraph.

Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policey, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premisis, depending on the size of the plots.

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I have found your question really fascinating because I love to parse (analyze)

sentences, too.

(2) I cannot give you my opinions at this time because:

(a) You and I are waiting for Teacher Gillnetter's answer.

(b) Since your latest post was addressed to him, it is not my place to answer it.

(I am an old man who strongly believes in everyone keeping his place.)

(c) If, for some reason, Teacher Gillnetter does not answer this weekend, I shall

be delighted to answer, for I am especially interested in how one would parse

"depending on." Hopefully, Teacher Gillnetter or other teachers will answer us in the

next 48 hours.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

(A) As I type, no one has replied. So I guess it's OK if I comment. I do not claim that these opinions are the correct answers.

(B) Your excellent and serious analysis helped and guided me as I was preparing my own analysis, which I based on a simplified version of your sentence:

Amid vocal opposition, the Authority will meet to formulate farmhouse policy, aimed at allowing amusement parks on the premises, depending on the size of the plots.

(1) (a) "amid" is a preposition = in the middle of something.
(b) "amid vocal opposition" means something like "in the middle of/ while there is strong opposition."
(c) Most people will agree with you that the prepositional phrase ("amid vocal opposition") modifies the verb "will meet."
(d) In other words: The Authority will meet at the same time that there is (continued) vocal opposition to the farmhouse policy.

(2) (a) People will agree with you that "aimed" is a participle that modifies "policy."
(b) You ask why the word is "aimed," not "aiming."
(i) I do not have the answer.
(ii) I can only offer a suggestion: "aimed" in your sentence is not the past. It is the past participle. I believe that "policy, aimed at XXX" = "policy, [which is] aimed at XXX." As you know, "which is aimed" is the passive, and the passive always requires the past participle.

(3) Again, I believe that you are correct: "depending on the size of the plots" is adverbial. As you said, it modifies the verbal noun (gerund) "allowing." In other words, the allowing of amusement parks on the the premises depends on the size of the plots.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Parser thanks for your response.:)

Adverbial clause tells various types of answers like cause and effect, reason, adver of place etc.

In this case what type of answer we are getting from ".........depending on the size of plots".

Rajan

(3) Again, I believe that you are correct: "depending on the size of the plots" is adverbial. As you said, it modifies the verbal noun (gerund) "allowing." In other words, the allowing of amusement parks on the the premises depends on the size of the plots.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) Without doing some research, I am not sure.

(2) I shall try to check my books and the Web.

(3) Hopefully, a smarter person than I will answer us. I, too, want to know: what kind of

adverbial clause is indicated by "depending on."

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Amid vocal opposition" must mean that there are many voicing their discontent over a policy, vociferously opposing it.

Original:

A modified version:
In an atmosphere of vociferous opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policy which is set to regularize 2000-odd farmhouses and allow amusement parks, fitness centers and banquet halls on the premises, depending on the size of the plots.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We can also substitute "as depends on" for "depending on".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Adverbial clause tells various types of answers like cause and effect, reason, adver of place etc.

In this case what type of answer we are getting from ".........depending on the size of plots".

(1) Do you think that we may be dealing with an adverbial clause of condition?

(2) Here is what The Free Dictionary (online) says about conditional sentences:

They express "a condition on which something is contingent [dependent]."

(a) In other words, maybe (maybe!) "Allowing amusement parks on the premises,

depending on the size of the plots" = "Amusement parks will be allowed on the

premises if the size of the plot is considered sufficiently large."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does it seem too formal or, rather, grammatically incorrect?
Amid Vocal opposition, governing body members of the Delhi Development Authority will meet on Friday to formulate the farmhouse policy, aimed at regularizing 2000-odd farmhouses and allowing amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premises, as depends on on the size of the plots.

That appears to me to be unacceptable grammatically.

Let's make it shorter to see this more clearly.:

1. The Authority will allow amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premises, depending on the size of the plots.
2. The Authority will allow amusement parks, fitness centres and banquet halls on the premises, as depends on the size of the plots

the 'as depends on' in #2 seems to be unidiomatic.

I have to say that I am not too happy about #1, either. I would prefer the 'and' to be 'or' or 'and/or'.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
i am just guessing that it comes under cause and effect. i was reading somewhere that cause and effect is a phrase which means one thing causes other (means one thing makes other thing happened). keeping this definition in mind :

Depending on the size of the plot, allowing and regularizing depends.

I may be wrong.

I, too, want to know: what kind of

adverbial clause is indicated by "depending on."[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As is, "depending on" sounds perfectly OK to my americanized ears. I'd venture the assertion that "..., which depends on..." would also be possible.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Parser,

You seem to be right. However, can it come under cause and effect as i have mentioned above. what do you think?

(1) Do you think that we may be dealing with an adverbial clause of condition?

(2) Here is what The Free Dictionary (online) says about conditional sentences:

They express "a condition on which something is contingent [dependent]."

(a) In other words, maybe (maybe!) "Allowing amusement parks on the premises,

depending on the size of the plots" = "Amusement parks will be allowed on the

premises if the size of the plot is considered sufficiently large."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Parser,

You seem to be right. However, can it come under cause and effect as i have mentioned above. what do you think?

(1) Thank you for your note.

(2) I do not know the answer. We non-teachers are expressly warned not to give

advice unless we are pretty confident of the answer. Usingenglish wants learners

such as you and I to receive informed (accurate) answers.

(3) I will continue my research on the Web. I hope that you also do so. Then we can

share what we learn with each other and with other interested parties.

(4) Who knows? Maybe a teacher will give us the answer.

(5) Thanks again for starting this thread. I have learned a lot.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

(1) Eureka! ( = I have found it! I have found it!)

(2) "Depending on the size of its brooding pouch, a sea horse hatches between

10 and 100 eggs."

(3) The Grammar Logs #607 website gives this answer (the words in bold are my

emphasis):

The initial participial phrase is defining the conditions under which a sea horse

hatches, so it's modifying the verb. You could, though [however], say that the

phrase tends to modify, adverbially. the entire main clause.

(4) Grammar Logs #607 gives credit for this information to Understanding English

Grammar by Martha Kolln.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Parser,

Great. Thanks for your efforts in helping me.:)

Will disturb you again with new problem.

(1) Eureka! ( = I have found it! I have found it!)

(2) "Depending on the size of its brooding pouch, a sea horse hatches between

10 and 100 eggs."

(3) The Grammar Logs #607 website gives this answer (the words in bold are my

emphasis):

The initial participial phrase is defining the conditions under which a sea horse

hatches, so it's modifying the verb. You could, though [however], say that the

phrase tends to modify, adverbially. the entire main clause.

(4) Grammar Logs #607 gives credit for this information to Understanding English

Grammar by Martha Kolln.

Status
Not open for further replies.