Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Now that" is the answer, but if you say "while" in the sense of "during the time", doesn't it make sense? It seems to and not to, so it's confusing.

Choose the correct answer.
ex)(Now that, While) I'm planning to have a baby, I have stopped drinking and smoking.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't really work- with while, you'd probably use will.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It doesn't really work- with while, you'd probably use will.

Is this "while" "during the time" or "in contrast to"? It may be "during the time", but the main clause doesn't seem to be logically deduced. It sounds weird to me, sorry.
Okay, it may make sense on second thought. does "I'm planning to" mean "recent activity"? Is that why recent activity(I'm planning to) doesn't go with past or present perfect action(have stopped), but with future action(will stop)?

ex)While I'm planning to have a baby, I will stop drinking and smoking

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
keannu, native speakers of English (and probably of most other languages) just do not worry about how their utterances may be analysed later - they just say what is in their minds.Normally the listener 'hears' the message rather than the words.

Possibly, if they had time to think about it, native speakers might say:

While (despite the fact that) I'm pregnant, I am still smoking. (Unlikely)
While (despite the fact that) I'm planning to have a baby, I am still smoking. (Unlikely)
While (during the time that) I'm pregnant, I have stopped smoking / I am not smoking.

There are many other possibilities. Context normally resolves any potential misunderstandings.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Now that" is the answer, but if you say "while" in the sense of "during the time", doesn't it make sense? It seems to and not to, so it's confusing.

Choose the correct answer.
ex)(Now that, While) I'm planning to have a baby, I have stopped drinking and smoking.

Now that = At this point in time, because I am planning to have a baby, I have stopped drinking and smoking.

"While I'm planning to have a baby" sounds like it will be followed by something else that I will do while I am planning. For example, "While I'm planning to have a baby, I'm also going to plan how I will decorate the nursery".

I would use "While" to say "While I am trying for a baby (trying to conceive), I have stopped drinking and smoking". That shows that I have stopped drinking and smoking for the duration of my attempt to conceive.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Now that = At this point in time, because I am planning to have a baby, I have stopped drinking and smoking.

"While I'm planning to have a baby" sounds like it will be followed by something else that I will do while I am planning. For example, "While I'm planning to have a baby, I'm also going to plan how I will decorate the nursery".

I would use "While" to say "While I am trying for a baby (trying to conceive), I have stopped drinking and smoking". That shows that I have stopped drinking and smoking for the duration of my attempt to conceive.

The grammar book's author made an inadequate example thinking "have a baby" means "to conceive a baby", so all my confusion disappeared when you told me the examples. The translation goes "conceive a baby" not "deliver a baby" for "Now that I'm planning to have a baby", and it affected the "while" case so awkwardly. So do you only say "We're planning to conceive a baby" when you want to have a child, or do you have any other common expression?
Anyway, thanks a lot!!! :up:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be fair, if someone says "I'm planning to have a baby" we would understand that to mean that they were about to start trying to get pregnant, not that they were already pregnant and planned to actually give birth. Despite having no kids, I'm pretty sure that once you're pregnant, you don't have any choice in whether or not to give birth! ;-)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
To be fair, if someone says "I'm planning to have a baby" we would understand that to mean that they were about to start trying to get pregnant, not that they were already pregnant and planned to actually give birth. Despite having no kids, I'm pretty sure that once you're pregnant, you don't have any choice in whether or not to give birth! ;-)

Okay, once you get pregnant, there's no other option but to deliver a baby, so you wouldn't say "I'm planning to have a baby", but I think it still means "deliver a baby" not "possess a baby", Then, in the following exmples, I think even b is also possible as "I'm planning to have a baby" can be interpreted as "plan to conceive a baby" as you said. Isn't it? Sorry, I may be too persistent, but it's because my concept of "having a baby" is about to be changed a little bit.

ex) While I'm planning to have a baby,
a. I'm also going to plan how I will decorate the nursery".
b. I have stopped drinking and smoking

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, once you get pregnant, there's no other option but to deliver a baby, so you wouldn't say "I'm planning to have a baby", but I think it still means "deliver a baby" not "possess a baby", Then, in the following exmples, I think even b is also possible as "I'm planning to have a baby" can be interpreted as "plan to conceive a baby" as you said. Isn't it? Sorry, I may be too persistent, but it's because my concept of "having a baby" is about to be changed a little bit.

ex) While I'm planning to have a baby,
a. I'm also going to plan how I will decorate the nursery".
b. I have stopped drinking and smoking

"To have a baby" doesn't really mean exactly "to conceive", "to give birth" or "to possess". It is closer to "to become a parent".

Status
Not open for further replies.