Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I am writing a tip for ball games.

When you play any of ball games, Baseball, Golf, or Tennis, it is generally important to turn your waist first before start swinging your arm. Tuning the waist initiates smooth and sound movement of the body to hit a ball on the axis of rotation.

Question:
The phrase "Turn your waist first" sounds OK? How “rotating your waist”, or “moving from your waist” sound like?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am writing a tip for ball games.

When you play any type of ball game[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] such as Baseball, Golf, or Tennis, it is generally important to rotate your waist first before [STRIKE]start[/STRIKE] swinging your arm(s). Turning the waist initiates smooth and sound movement of the body to hit a ball on the axis of rotation.

Question:
The phrase "Turn your waist first" sounds OK? How “rotating your waist”, or “moving from your waist” sound like?

See above suggestions for the statement, however I don't necessarily agree with your recommendation. My "experience", in the sports you mention, is that the hip rotation and the swing should occur simultaneously, but perhaps that's what is wrong with my game. :-?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I'd say 'turn from the waist' or 'turn at the waist'. (After a Tai Chi class I might say 'lead with the tan-tien':))

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
After a Tai Chi class I might say 'lead with the tan-tien'
We black belts (seventh dan) in ori-gami strive not to move at the waist at all. ;-)

Last edited:

Tack

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
We black belts (seventh dan) in ori-gami strive not to move at the waist at all. ;-)

That's interesting. I've been moving at the waist sharply when I do Origami.

Status
Not open for further replies.