[Grammar] general rule and exception to sentence form

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldstudent5375

Member Type
Student or Learner
In the following sentence, my professor said i have violated a general rule but that in this sentence form it meets an exception to the general rule; however, he wants to know the general rule and the exception i have used??? i am so confused and have looked everywhere. after 25 hours of research, i am frustrated. can anyone help? here is the sentence...

The child did not have any clue what action would please the lady most.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

Usually (usually, not always!), a simple statement about not having something uses a plural. That's the general rule.

I don't have any bananas to sell you. (Yes, we have no bananas... if you're really an old student, you can sing along.)
I don't see any pens in the drawer where you told me to look. .
She doesn't have any brothers or sisters.

However, the phrase "I don't have a clue!" takes the singular - it's an idiom. You don't have any clue, do you? He just doesn't have a clue.

So the child not having any clue, versus any clues, works.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
How about "The child didn´t have any clue about what action.......?"

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

Usually (usually, not always!), a simple statement about not having something uses a plural. That's the general rule.

I don't have any bananas to sell you. (Yes, we have no bananas... if you're really an old student, you can sing along.)
I don't see any pens in the drawer where you told me to look. .
She doesn't have any brothers or sisters.

However, the phrase "I don't have a clue!" takes the singular - it's an idiom. You don't have any clue, do you? He just doesn't have a clue.

So the child not having any clue, versus any clues, works.

I vaguely recall a similar issue popped up sometime last year.

One teacher, I can't remember who, said that there's actually no practical differenct between There is no book here and There are no books here. In both cases, no one can find any books here.

I can't help thinking if this is also the case here? Either I don't have any bananas or I don't have any banana can convey the same idea, i.e., I have none.

Therefore, I assume by usually, not always, you don't only refer to idioms like I don't have a clue, but also mean they're both right while the plural form is much more popular. I don't get what you meant by So the child not having any clue, versus any clues, works but I assume it's just like what I said.

Am I right in thinking so?

Thanks

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.