Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teachers,
Please read the following question:
What made the professor puzzled was ____________ fewer and fewer students came to his lecture.
A. why B.how C.that D.whether
The reference answer is A. I think A is right, but C is right too.
Maybe A is more logical, the professor was puzzled about the reason. but I think we can say a person is puzzled about a fact(phenomenon).
So, is C absolutely right or just barely acceptable?
I am looking forward to your help. Thanks a million.
yours,
Japanjapan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What made the professor puzzled was ____________ fewer and fewer students came to his lecture.
The reference answer is A. I think A is right, Yes but C is right too.
Maybe A is more logical, the professor was puzzled about the reason. but I think we can say a person is puzzled about a fact(phenomenon).
So, is C absolutely right Yes (or just barely acceptable)?
D is also (just about) possible if there were so many students that it would not be easy to see, initially at least, if numbers were falling. I have to say that this would be very unlikely.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Teachers,
Please read the following question:
The reference answer is A. I think A is right, but C is right too.
So, is C absolutely right or just barely acceptable?
I am looking forward to your help. Thanks a million.
yours,
Japanjapan
I am not a teacher.

I put in "that" before I read the choices. I think "why" is perfectly possible, many people would say that, but it may be a little loose grammatically, and it was the phenomenon that made him puzzled, not the question. "That" is the best answer, the way I see it.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello japanjapan,

Only
choice A is possible.

The professor was puzzled because he didn't know the reason for the fact that fewer and fewer students came to his lectures. In other words, he knew the fact (they stopped attending) but he didn't know why they had stopped.

A. What made him puzzled was why fewer and fewer students came.
The reason for the fact that fewer and fewer students came made him puzzled.

C. What made him puzzled was that fewer and fewer students came.
The fact that
fewer and fewer students came made him puzzled.

The fact (students stopped attending his lectures) did not puzzle the professor, as he already knew they weren't attending. What puzzled the professor was the reason for that fact, why they stopped attending (choice A).

Choice C (that) is possible if elliptical for the reason for the fact that, but not the best answer since it is also elliptical for the reason that. Ambiguity is the reason choice C is not the best answer.

Only choice A is possible:

What made the professor puzzled was _______ fewer and fewer students came to his lecture.

A. why :tick:
B. how :cross:
C. that :cross: ambiguous
D. whether :cross:

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A. What made him puzzled was why fewer and fewer students came.
The reason for the fact that fewer and fewer students came made him puzzled.

C. What made him puzzled was that fewer and fewer students came.
The fact that fewer and fewer students came made him puzzled.

The fact (students stopped attending his lectures) did not puzzle the professor, as he already knew they weren't attending. What puzzled the professor was the reason for that fact, why they stopped attending (choice A).

Choice C (that) is possible if elliptical for the reason for the fact that, but not the best answer since it is also elliptical for the reason that. Ambiguity is the reason choice C is not the best answer.

Who agrees with this argument?
Do you think of "puzzled" in the same way as soup?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Who agrees with this argument?
Do you think of "puzzled" in the same way as soup?
I'd say that both "that' and "why" are possible.

Bide

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
China
I agree with bhaisahab, and I would also accept 'how', which sounds more American to my ears. But there is no good reason not to accept 'that'. 'why' here is a pronoun over 'the reason why' I couldn't accept 'whether'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I couldn't accept 'whether'.
I did say that I thought it was very unlikely. Since then, I tried 'puzzled whether' in both COCA and BNC and found only one example - and that was the verb in the active voice.

Absence from the corpora does not prove it cannot be used, but it does suggest very strongly that learners should not use it. If it is possible, it is rare.

Bide

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
China
I changed my mind there: The prof is short-sighted and half deaf, he can't hear the students chatter, and the rear part of the lecture room is an unseen mystery to him from behind his thick bifocals.

What made him puzzled was whether fewer and fewer students came to his lectures. That works for me!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I changed my mind there: The prof is short-sighted and half deaf, he can't hear the students chatter, and the rear part of the lecture room is an unseen mystery to him from behind his thick bifocals.

What made him puzzled was whether fewer and fewer students came to his lectures. That works for me!
It does for me, too. However, as I suggested earlier, this sort of situation is quite unlikely.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
It doesn't for me - puzzle is not the same as, say, wonder; puzzle's got something to do with understanding and confusion, so you can't actually use it to pose a question or express a doubt in a sentence like that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It doesn't for me - puzzle is not the same as, say, wonder; puzzle's got something to do with understanding and confusion, so you can't actually use it to pose a question or express a doubt in a sentence like that.
I can. So, it seems, can Bide.

Status
Not open for further replies.