Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which of the following sentences is more idiomatic?

1_ He was consistent and determined in the decision of pursuing his education in this field.2_ He was consistent and determined in his decision to pursue his education in this field.

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The second is fine.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, it is not considered strange. Does it seem strange to you?

No. Since you brought up that question in post #3, I thought it might not be natural to be used.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Since you brought up that question in post #3, I thought it might not be natural to be used.
Ryan, my question in post #3 refers to the definition of "idiomatic". I don't think either sentence is idiomatic. You can find examples of idiomatic phrases here.

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Ryan, my question in post #3 refers to the definition of "idiomatic". I don't think either sentence is idiomatic. You can find examples of idiomatic phrases here.
Thanks a lot. I judged your question by the second definition of "Idiomatic" presented in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

1-"an idiom"
2-"Typical of the natural way in which someone speaks or writes when they are using their own language" [Longman Dictionary of Contemporary]

Also according to Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners:
"1-expressing things in a way that sounds natural: an idiomatic translation.
2-containing idioms or consisting of an idiom"

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot. I judged your question by the second definition of "Idiomatic" presented in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

1-"an idiom"
2-"Typical of the natural way in which someone speaks or writes when they are using their own language" [Longman Dictionary of Contemporary]

Also according to Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners:
"1-expressing things in a way that sounds natural: an idiomatic translation.
2-containing idioms or consisting of an idiom"

You may have 'jumped the gun' by not looking at the word "idiom" before looking up "idiomatic". ;-) Look here.

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You may have 'jumped the gun' by not looking at the word "idiom" before looking up "idiomatic". ;-) Look here.

I am confused a little. Did I get the second definition in Longman and the first one in Macmillan wrong? . I thought the word "idiomatic" meant natural and not strange in the sentence I used in the first post. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ryan did not use the word 'idiom'; he used the word 'idiomatic'. He used it naturally and correctly in one of its meanings: 'containing expressions that are natural to a native speaker of a language' Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (8th edition).

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ryan did not use the word 'idiom'; he used the word 'idiomatic'. He used it naturally and correctly in one of its meanings: 'containing expressions that are natural to a native speaker of a language' Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (8th edition).
I stand corrected! Perhaps I should have looked up "idiomatic" before I looked up "idiom"! :oops: Thanks for the correction, 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.