Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Now a sentence showed up in my book (Iceberg Slim – Pimp: The story of my life) containing two expressions that I was not able to interpret with any slang dictionaries.

The section reads:

„Three days later, a half hour before closing, an order came in for a case of Mums. The address was in the plush Height’s, miles from the store.”

(capitals are as in original)

Background:

After coming out from the jail, Iceberg (the main character) got a job as a delivery in a drugstore. He got acquainted with a sexually still hyperactive ex-prostitue who tries to get him into her bed by placing an order to the drugstore. Thus Iceberg, the delivery boy must go to her place (that’s in the „plush Height’s”) to deliver the order (the „case of Mums”)

My questions:

1. What does case of Mums mean here?

2. What does plush Height’s mean here?

Many thanks in advance, I learn a lot by reading your answers!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You posted this more than once and some replies were lost. Please only post once. However, the replies were:

1 A box containing a number of cans or bottles of a product called, or known as, Mums.
2 The Heights is the name of an area and plush means that it is a wealthy one.

"Mums" sounds to me like a trade name - no doubt for something expensive.

The Heights [misplaced apostrophe] is a posh neighbourhood - possibly a particular one such as Washington Heights, Manhattan - though there are many others.

It may be Mumm's champagne.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that when using quotation marks, you use the same quotes at the beginning of the phrase as you do at the end, so it should look like "this".

Status
Not open for further replies.