Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I've been writing articles and selling them, but I've recently run into touble with my editors. They've started to reject my work for the following reasons, "This article is missing commas necessary for clarity or includes commas that are misplaced."

I've run through the article, but I can't seem to pick out the offending sentences. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Here's the article.

Getting married is a beautiful thing, but it can also be a very stressful experience. Preparation can take a long time, and if you’re on a budget then paying for it can also be a cause of concern. There are many ways to save money on a wedding, and they range from being intelligent in what you buy to making things yourself. In a perfect world we would all get to make our day perfect for the least amount of money, and there’s nothing wrong in saving as long as you don’t scrimp on the important things. This article will give you an idea of where you shouldn’t cut costs when it comes to the photographer.

Many people will tell you to make the most of your day, and after all in the great scheme of things, it is only one day. It will soon be over, and all you’ll have left are your photographs, so making sure that those lasting mementoes are perfect means paying a little extra. Wedding photographers are not hard to find, and the internet is a great place to start looking. Most people that offer the service will advertise on local wedding photographer websites, so it should be easy to compare their prices in one place. You’ll soon discover that there is a wide range of quality on offer, and prices that start fairly low, and then reach for the stars; you’ll need to find the right balance.

When viewing a photographer’s website, most people will head straight for the gallery, and it is the right thing to do. At the end of the day your photographs will have to be exactly what you want, so checking out the photographer’s style should be the first port of call. Check out as many of the photographs as you can, and if you notice that there are certain shots that you like then make a note them. When contacting a photographer you should be able to request a lot of different shots and styles, but a good photographer should suggest them to you. A flexible photographer with a good portfolio is a sign of skill. Such skill often comes at a greater cost to you, but the benefit is that the skill is clearly visible.

Before you make your decision you should check credentials. There are many governing bodies and institutions that a photographer can be affiliated with, and if a professional photographer belongs to one of them then they are usually quite proud of that fact. Look for seals, certificates, branding, and other such signs in order to determine the qualifications of the photographer. If you spot one of those things then do a little homework via a search engine to check the quality of the governing body or institution. You will soon get a good idea of who the main players are, and then you’ll be able to pick out which of your potential wedding photographers will have had the best training. Obviously you’re going to want somebody who knows what they are doing, and so hiring that professional will cost you a bit more than if you take a chance on an amateur.

A package that only contains a photographer will be cheaper than one that has more people taking the photos, and videos. It is ok to let somebody cheap film your big day on their camcorder, but if you want a proper job done then you’re best to invest on a videographer. Many professional photographers will have a package that includes an extra person to film your wedding. They’ll have better than average equipment too, so you’ll have a much higher chance of having a quality, lasting keepsake. Of course having more people with cameras will increase cost, but if you really want photos and videos then they should be budgeted for.

A useful tip for saving a little while keeping a high standard is to enquire about trainees. Because professional qualifications in photography require a lot of training you may be able to add an extra photographer for a lower rate, and sometimes even for free. Trainees often go along to weddings alongside the main photographer, and they take photos which are usually meant only for their coursework or trainee portfolio. Oftentimes their photos can be made available to you for a reduced fee, or for nothing.

If you don’t know much about the industry, choosing a photographer can be quite difficult. Prices can vary wildly, but if you take the time to do your research then you can make a much more informed decision. The maxim that a picture paints a thousand words certainly applies here, and so viewing a potential photographer’s portfolio is very important. Some of the most expensive choices may not have the style that you desire; while the less pricey candidates might work in a way that captures your heart. Just remember that the service comes with a large responsibility. Those that charge more probably do so for a reason, and so knowing more about them will give you an idea as to whether they are really offering value for money.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have read your article, and it is perfectly clear. There are a couple of places where I might add commas, but it would be for reasons of personal style rather than clarity.
If your editors were worth their salt, they would be more specific about your "comma crimes". Ask them to provide examples. If they won't, then change your editors.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Here's one mistake which you've made a few times:
"Many people will tell you to make the most of your day and, after all in the great scheme of things, it is only one day."
Here you are interpolating "after all, in the great scheme of things". The comma comes after 'and' here. The sentence should still make sense if you delete the phrase between the commas. Here's another example:
"Check out as many of the photographs as you can, and if you notice that there are certain shots that you like then make a note them." Should be:
"Check out as many of the photographs as you can and, if you notice that there are certain shots that you like, then make a note them."

"... and prices that start fairly low, and then reach for the stars"
The comma doesn't belong here. It's unnecessarily disruptive.

Still, I think moving a few commas shouldn't be much trouble to an editor if they are serious about your work.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Thanks for the help there people. It looks Like I've had a minor brain fart with the comma after the co-ordinating conjuntion. I'm willing to let myslef believe that such issues are typos. As for interpolating, the idea that the sentence should still make sense without the interpolation is quite helpful.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The wording of their complaint sounds like the sort of thing grammar checkers say- more automated than human. If so, you might be able to predict what the punctuation rules are that this is based on by using a few online or software demos to see what they're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.