Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Hi!
What's wrong with the word "those" in this sentence, why and what is the correct word that should be put instead?

(An internationally famous ballerina, Maria Tallchief demonstrated the the quality of ballet in North America could equal those of the ballet in Europe.)

Please explain.
Thanks

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is nothing wrong with "those". I would change ballet at the end to "ballets".

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J&K Tutoring

In this usage, "quality" is uncountable, so the singular that is appropriate.

I don't think it's necessary to use the plural to talk in such general terms about ballet in Europe, especially as this passage compares the ballet on one continent with the ballet on another.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yet, "ballet" can be pluralized.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But it isn't in the OP — correctly so. I agree with J&K that 'that' is the correct pronoun in this case.

Ran mohd, please note that your quoted sentence should be in inverted commas – not brackets, and that there should be a comma after 'Maria Tallchief'.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
An internationally famous ballerina, Maria Tallchief demonstrated that the quality of ballet in North America could equal those of the ballet in Europe.

I can certainly see Mike's logic on this one given the use of the definite article, "the ballet(s) in Europe."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on whether you consider "ballet" to be "a performance by ballet dancers" or simply the form of dance known as "ballet".
If it's the former, you could say "the ballets of Europe". In that case, I would say "... the quality of ballets in North America could equal that of those in Europe". ("That" refers back to "quality" and "those" refers to "ballets").
If "ballet" is used for the form of dance, I would say "... the quality of ballet in North America could equal that [of ballet] in Europe".

Status
Not open for further replies.