US, Canada or Newzeland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zamzam

Member Type
Interested in Language
If I intending to learn English in one of the mentioned places.
what are your recommendations and reasons pls.:roll:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
New Zealand, it's warm and beautiful there!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If I intending to learn English in one of the mentioned places.
what are your recommendations and reasons pls.:roll:
What are the criteria on which you are going to decide?
Linguistically, it probably doesn't matter much.

Slot

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Probably Canada, if U.S. English is to form part of your future and if the winters don't stop you cold, so to speak.

Because Canada is next door to the United States, it is flooded with U.S. spelling in print and American spoken word via radio and television — scores of U.S. TV channels in nearly every Canadian home — come to mind. However, with some exceptions, British English is used domestically in print, by broadcasters and in business.

So if both versions would be important to you — staying with business as an example — your knowledge of when to use one or the other, or when not to (which may be more important), might prove advantageous.

These differences, thanks to the two countries' histories and geography, likely would be more easily discernible in Canada than in Australia and/or New Zealand, neither of which have 100 million U.S.-English speakers on their doorsteps.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
For me, 100% Canada. It is a very nice, beautiful, clean and peaceful country. You shouldn't go to US because there are lots of criminals there, it is unsafe for you. The people there, well, lots of the British said that they are impolite. New Zealand, a very small island country, I make sure that Canada is 10 times larger.
I like cold weather, so the weather in Canada is my favorite. I don't know how about you. This is just my recommendation. :)

Best regards,
D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, devonpham1998, for slandering an entire country, telling people it's full of criminals and impolite people, without your ever having set foot in the country. I'm sure your view will be embraced and repeated by many as factual.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, one of the things that British people who live or travel in the US often comment on is the politeness of people living there actually.

And while we're on the subject of accuracy, here's something about the size of New Zealand:

That's hardly small, though the population is fairly small.

Devonpham, you might want to check your facts a bit before generalising about countries.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you, devonpham1998, for slandering an entire country, telling people it's full of criminals and impolite people, without your ever having set foot in the country. I'm sure your view will be embraced and repeated by many as factual.
Dear Barb_D,

I am really sorry! The thing I wrote about USA was not what I meant. It was what the other people said. I just put it in to give zamzam a full look, almost the comments of the people, not just mine. Truly, I know very little about the USA. The information was also based on some Vietnamese newpapers that I've read like The Law, Law and Life,...
About USA, there's so much interesting thing that I supposed to say. I love US music, US singers like Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Eminem,... Also the US channels and shows are amazing! America's Next Top Models is one of my favorite shows. I love the big shopping centre in New York, where there are many beautiful clothes. The roads in US are very clean, cleaner than my country's, of course.
I didn't mean to slander the entire country. I am sorry! It was just my misunderstanding of the USA after reading and hearing about it on some newspaper and some people. I hope you understand.

With kind regards,
Devon Pham

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Also, one of the things that British people who live or travel in the US often comment on is the politeness of people living there actually.

And while we're on the subject of accuracy, here's something about the size of New Zealand:

That's hardly small, though the population is fairly small.

Devonpham, you might want to check your facts a bit before generalising about countries.
Dear Tdol,

Most of the British people I've met told me that. I have no idea about this. I just wrote what I've heard. And I also feel very sorry for all the words I wrote about the USA. I am sorry if I hurt anyone.

PS: Well yes, New Zealand is not a very small island country, but it is probably smaller than Canada.

Best regards,
Devon

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

We have baseball and hot dogs. Come on over!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Hortence

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: not a teacher

We have baseball and hot dogs. Come on over!

Okay then, we have hockey and smoked meat sandwiches!

(By the way, we also have excellent universities!)

:)

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Okay then, we have hockey and smoked meat sandwiches!

(By the way, we also have excellent universities!)

:)
You also have Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion (and so much more)! :)

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States

You also have Justin Bieber, Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion (and so much more)! :)

People from America would consider that to be three good reasons NOT to visit Canada.

I think it depends on how you want to learn English and at what level. It can be very difficult to get a visa to the U.S. so Canada or New Zealand might be easier.
I have spent five years waiting for my permanent green card and I am married to a U.S. citizen. I teach at a college but if I wish to attend any classes at this same college I will have to pay to take a test that shows that I speak English. This is a great country with wonderful and polite people but the rules for immigration don't make a lot of sense.

Vietnam is amazing too, but it has been almost 15 years since I was there. It did seem like the country had a serious problem with crime, though?

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Do they have more soft drinks in Vietnam now? I got really sick of 7up and cokes. If that is still all you have available you might enjoy the selection in America. I've developed a serious Dr Pepper addiction.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

If the decisive factor is actually English instruction, I'd say it doesn't make any difference. The varieties of English spoken in different countries are, differences in vocabulary, slang, and spelling aside, basically the same. Especially the written kind. I do find a Scottish accent hard to follow sometimes.

If you're looking for other reasons to go one place or another--well, the Rocky Mountains are pretty awesome.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

People from America would consider that to be three good reasons NOT to visit Canada.

Vietnam is amazing too, but it has been almost 15 years since I was there. It did seem like the country had a serious problem with crime, though?

Why? I think teenagers from America would consider that to be three good reasons to visit Canada.

Every country has problem with crime. Also mine. But it is not too serious as you said. We are improving our country more peaceful, also the law is harder than before.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Do they have more soft drinks in Vietnam now? I got really sick of 7up and cokes. If that is still all you have available you might enjoy the selection in America. I've developed a serious Dr Pepper addiction.
Well, you cannot compare Vietnam to America. Because they are different so far. However, there are more soft drinks in Vietnam now. You can try some time. :) I make sure that they won't make you sick!

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Well, you cannot compare Vietnam to America. Because they are different so far. However, there are more soft drinks in Vietnam now. You can try some time. :) I make sure that they won't make you sick!

That is good to hear! Now I am not so afraid of going back! ;-)
When you spend a month in a place where you're not supposed to drink the water a choice of only two drinks (I was 12 - soft drinks were all I could have) can drive you crazy. Well, it can drive me a little crazy.

All countries have their own set of problems when it comes to crime, I just don't think America is that bad. There are places in New Orleans that I would not go to, but you can probably find areas like that in most big cities. Actually, I think New Orleans is a very friendly place although I've heard that it has one of the higher crime rates in the country. (anyone know if this is true?)
I didn't mean to pick on your country, it was honestly the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I just got the impression that the big cities had a lot of crime, but I know that Vietnam is developing rapidly so a lot must have changed since my visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.