This coffe is better than the one I had yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Do you say ,"This coffee is better than the one I had yesterday"?

I think "one" as a pronoun only refers to a countable noun. In the sentence above, however, it looks like "one" refers to "coffee", which is an uncountable noun.

Thank you.

OP

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you say ,"This coffee is better than the one I had yesterday"?

I think "one" as a pronoun only refers to a countable noun. In the sentence above, however, it looks like "one" refers to "coffee", which is an uncountable noun.

Thank you.

OP
This could be written "This coffee is better than the coffee I had yesterday". You are merely pointing to a specific coffee - that particular coffee you drank in the past. You could also write something like this "This ocean is deeper than the one I saw last week".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Coffee" is not always an uncountable noun. When we use it to mean "a cup of coffee" (which we frequently do), it's countable.

Do you want a coffee?
No thanks, I just had one.

What did you do this morning?
I went for a coffee with a friend, then went to the gym.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Coffee" is not always an uncountable noun. When we use it to mean "a cup of coffee" (which we frequently do), it's countable.

Do you want a coffee?
No thanks, I just had one.

What did you do this morning?
I went for a coffee with a friend, then went to the gym.
It might be that this is just the west coast way but I would not ask if you want a coffee. It would either be a cup of coffee or some coffee. In a similar way, "I went for coffee with a friend...".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It might be that this is just the west coast way but I would not ask if you want a coffee. It would either be a cup of coffee or some coffee. In a similar way, "I went for coffee with a friend...".
Strange, I thought "Would you like a coffee?" was used everywhere. It's certainly ubiquitous in AusE. Note that I'm not saying everyone phrases it that way.
[h=2][/h]

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Strange, I thought "Would you like a coffee?" was used everywhere. It's certainly ubiquitous in AusE. Note that I'm not saying everyone phrases it that way.
I do hear "Would you like a coffee?", but generally it comes from some of my Mexican ESL students. In Spanish the term is ¿Quiere café? This translates to, "Do you want coffee"? When I ask them why they added an "a" they don't seem to know. The don't say "Quiere una (a) cafe" in Spanish.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do hear "Would you like a coffee?", but generally it comes from some of my Mexican ESL students. In Spanish the term is ¿Quiere café? This translates to, "Do you want coffee"? When I ask them why they added an "a" they don't seem to know. The don't say "Quiere una (a) cafe" in Spanish.

This has happened with many mass nouns (of the food and drink variety) through the years.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The article isn't obligatory. All the following are acceptable:

Do you want coffee?
Do you want some coffee?
Do you want a coffee?
Do you want a cup of coffee?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you want a caffeinated imbibatory experience?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This American has no problem with the inclusion of the article. Let's get a coffee before work some time.
This American has no problem with the omission of the article. I asked you if you wanted to get coffee, not share pancakes at my breakfast table.

Status
Not open for further replies.