Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Can girls use "bro" and "buddy" to address their close male friends?

For example, when a girl finds her very close male friend on Skype etc., can she start a conversation with "Hi bro" or "Hi buddy"?

If not, could anyone please give me examples of what she can say instead?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see "buddy" used in a lot of English learners posts, and I can say that I've probably never used that as a form of address ever, and rarely heard it.

I'm a little too old to say "Wazzup, bro?" to a male colleague. I can't imagine wanting to.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For example, when a girl finds her very close male friend on Skype etc., can she start a conversation with "Hi bro" or "Hi buddy"?
If they are very close friends, they almost certainly have established ways in which they address each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you Barb_D and 5jj,

If they are very close friends, they almost certainly have established ways in which they address each other.
Yes, but it's not very intersting for me to always address the person in the same way, so I'd like to know other ways for variety's sake.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Hi Barb!" with a genuine smile is a far better greeting than "'Sup, dudette?" or "Hozzit goin', girlfriend."

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm with Barb over here on the old lady bench.... I shy away from "dude", "bro" and all other such colloquialisms when addressing friends. When I was younger I'd sometimes address a male friend or co-worker of a similar age as "bud" or "dude" or "bro", but once you get to the age where you need bifocals in order to read fine print, saying "dude" sounds as painfully awkward as using outdated prhases like "groovy" or "totally tubular". :oops:

If you're a teen or an early 20-something female, it's not unusual to address male friends (especially when texting or Skyping) as "bro", "dude", or "homes" (short for "homeboy") or "dawg".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm assuming if a girl calls you "bro" she has no interest in a romance with you.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you everyone.

If you're a teen or an early 20-something female, it's not unusual to address male friends (especially when texting or Skyping) as "bro", "dude", or "homes" (short for "homeboy") or "dawg".
That's what I wanted to know. :-D Thank you so much.

I'm assuming if a girl calls you "bro" she has no interest in a romance with you.
Yes, that's the situation I meant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.