Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does this "good" refer to "benefit" or "something helpful" or what else?
2. Though "make public" is an idiomatic expression, I've seen similar structures, where "object complement" comes right after a verb like "S+V+OC+O" instead of "S+V+O+OC".
Is this because if the object is long enough, then placing OC at the end can make confusion about its connection with the object? I mean, if the object is so long, "public" wouldn't be recognized easily in terms of whether it is the object complement or a part of the object.

rp82)Some people say that laws that are basically just and for everyone's good should be enforced in any way that is effective. But is that really a good idea? Suppose that we made public ,through local newspapers or other pulications, the names of people who did not pay their taxes (public)....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Does this "good" refer to "benefit" or "something helpful" or what else?
benefit
Though "make public" is an idiomatic expression, I've seen similar structures, where "object complement" comes right after a verb like "S+V+OC+O" instead of "S+V+O+OC".
Is this because if the object is long enough, then placing OC at the end can make confusion about its connection with the object? I mean, if the object is so long, "public" wouldn't be recognized easily in terms of whether it is the object complement or a part of the object.
Probably

Status
Not open for further replies.