Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi,I need your help
I am writing an essay from English and don't know how to write it correctly. I have this sentence:
"As for me, I caught a cold a month ago. And it was terrible. I had very a high temperature"
how should i write this? A HIGH TEMPRETURE / HIGH TEMPERATURE .
With "a", or no. Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Welcome to the forum. :)
Hi. I need your help.
I am writing an essay [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in English, and I don't know how to write it correctly. I have this sentence:
"As for me, I caught a cold a month ago. And it was terrible. I had a very high temperature".
How should I write this?
See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We wouldn't normally say "I had a high temperature." Instead, we would say "I had a fever."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BrE uses "a high temperature" to refer to a temperature that's just higher than normal. I would use "a fever" only if I felt seriously unwell with it - ie a very high temperature, accompanied by sweating/shivering.

I used to have regular bouts of tonsillitis as a child - they were accompanied by a temperature of about 99-99.5 degrees. That's higher than normal but not, according to my mum or the doctor, anything more urgent.
When I had cellulitis (blood poisoning) later in life, my temperature reached 103 degrees! Now that was a fever. I was sweating, shivering uncontrollably and at one point, started hallucinating!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
kharchenko, for future reference, this is how your post should look:

[STRiKE]Hi. I need your help[/STRiKE]. Unnecessary. Just go ahead and ask your question.

I am writing an essay [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in English, and I don't know how to write it correctly. I have this sentence:

"As for me, I caught a cold a month ago, and it was terrible. I had a very high temperature".

H
ow should I write this? "a high temperature"/"high temperature" – with "a", or not.

Last edited:

kharchenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We wouldn't normally say "I had a high temperature." Instead, we would say "I had a fever."
Ok, but it's for the British or American English?

kharchenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks for the answers, but I would like to know why I should use the article "a". Is there one rule for this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

OK, but [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] is that for the British or American English?

If you look at Tarheel's profile, you will see that he is native American English speaker, so he was answering about that variant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the answers, but I would like to know why I should use the article "a". Is there one rule for this?

Are you asking specifically why you must use the indefinite article before "high temperature" and "fever", or why/when we use the indefinite article before nouns?

Status
Not open for further replies.